Volunteer Opportunities and Board Positions
We list volunteer opportunities and open board positions in the Kansas City region. Browse the list to find nonprofit organizations in need of individual and group volunteers, as well as skilled board members.
Nonprofit and Business members can post volunteer opportunities and board positions for free.
Individual members and nonmembers can submit their opportunities for $25 per week.
*If you are posting an open board position, make sure to select Board of Directors as your Category. Consider using our board position description template to make sure you provide the right information.
Do you know someone interested in foreign affairs, global issues, international relations, and their connection to the local community? Do you know someone who has spent time overseas or whose work in the business sector, higher education, nonprofit organizations, community programs, or other initiatives engages people across countries and cultures? Do you know someone who knows the incredible people and places and organizations of Kansas City and wants to contribute to meaningful conversations about international topics and their local relevance? Are you, perhaps, that person? We’d love to hear from you!
Call for Nominations
The International Relations Council (IRC) is currently accepting nominations for its 2020 board of directors. Board members serve a three-year term, starting January 1, and are eligible for re-election to a second three-year term. Nominations must be received by Friday, September 27, 2019.
All submitted nominations are reviewed by the nominations committee, and successful candidates are contacted by the committee to be considered for approval by the full board. The selection of the best candidates is driven by the desire to ensure that the board is comprised of engaged members who bring a range of essential skills and experiences and reflect the organization's international focus.
Click here to learn about our current board of directors. We are looking for board members who represent our greater community and share our passion for discussing perspectives, exploring international topics, and opening the world to Kansas City.
About the International Relations Council
A Kansas City nonprofit organization and a member of the World Affairs Councils of America, the International Relations Council (IRC) works in partnership with businesses, universities, community organizations, and K-12 schools to bring a global perspective to our community. We bring world leaders and dignitaries to the metro region, host forums for high-school students to interact with and learn from foreign-policy experts, and create opportunities for area business leaders to strengthen relationships abroad. We believe that by promoting global awareness and understanding, we support and strengthen our community.
- Be a current member of the IRC, or be willing to become a member once joining the board
- Interpret the organization's work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as a spokesperson to invite others to connect with the IRC
- Serve actively on at least one board committee – Education, Finance, Membership Development, or Programs
- Be able to commit the time required to serve – one meeting per month, with full-board and committee meetings in alternating months, and regular participation in IRC events
- Promote the IRC in a variety of ways, including making connections and sharing information about upcoming programs and opportunities with his/her network
- Participate actively in fundraising, and contribute financially at a level that is personally meaningful
- Be willing to commit to a three-year term on the board
- Be free of significant conflicts of interest which might not allow the proper execution of the duties of a member of the board of directors
- Professional or personal experience working across cultures or living and working overseas
- Demonstrated passion for international affairs, foreign policy, trade, or global issues
- Fundraising or grant-writing experience
- Individuals employed by organizations not currently affiliated with the IRC, but who would like to bring his/her organization into the IRC membership network, are strongly encouraged to apply
Please email your nomination statement no later than Friday, September 27, to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Board Nomination" in the subject line. You are most welcome to contact us if you have questions about the process: 816-423-2632.
- You may nominate a colleague or friend. Please email a statement that includes the name, professional affiliation, phone number, and email address of the person you wish to nominate. In the statement, please include a brief biography of your nominee as well as what, in your view, qualifies him/her to be a good fit for the IRC board of directors.
- You may nominate yourself. Please email a statement that includes your name, professional affiliation, phone number, and email address. In the statement, please include a brief biography as well as interests and qualifications that make you a good fit for the IRC board of directors.
This Volunteer Opportunity is promoted by Nonprofit Connect.
Information posted has been provided by the named organization. Nonprofit Connect neither verifies nor endorses any organization or information posted, and we do not assume liability for opportunities offered. Nonprofit Connect reserves the right to remove any posting.