Volunteer Opportunities and Board Positions
We list volunteer opportunities and open board positions in the Kansas City region. Browse the list to find nonprofit organizations in need of individual and group volunteers, as well as skilled board members.
Nonprofit and Business members can post volunteer opportunities and board positions for free.
Individual members and nonmembers can submit their opportunities for $25 per week.
*If you are posting an open board position, make sure to select Board of Directors as your Category. Consider using our board position description template to make sure you provide the right information.
These volunteers assist our horticulture staff in planting, weeding, harvesting and maintaining our plant collection onsite. Volunteers may work in the Heartland Harvest Garden, Visitor Center and Conservatory, Island Garden, Beals Woodland and Stream Garden, Perennial Garden, Greenhouses and/or Fountain Garden and Magnolia Walk.
Assist with our foodie programs and dinners which help educate the public about the source of their food and the journey of food from seed to plate. Free Rangers assist with the CSA (community-supported agriculture) program and support our staff in the development of special food programs, harvesting and planting vegetables.
These volunteers provide the essential details that give our visitors an extraordinary experience working in the Perennial Gift Shop, Snack Shop or greeting visitors. Volunteer will be trained on answering and directing phones calls or anything that a visitor services staff member might encounter when working at the desk, gift shop and snack shop.
These behind-the-scenes volunteers assist in the administration and maintenance departments in a variety of ways on a weekly or monthly basis year-round or as needed. Some of the duties include, bulk mailing, data entry, filing, office organization while helping with administration department helping prepare for fundraising events. You may also assist the maintenance department with such activities as, staining, painting, building props for
Assist with special events, festivals, programs, classes and workshops by choosing your preferred job and shift. This position interacts with the public in a variety of ways. Jobs may include anything from class registrant check-in to manning craft activity tables, decorating for special events and much more.
Benefits of becoming a Powell gardens Volunteer:
- Powell Gardens volunteer t-shirt and nametag (and handbook!)
- Upon completion of 100 hours annually, each volunteer will receive four free festival passes (good for four festival admissions).
- Powell Gardens Free Rangers, who have worked as part of the weekly CSA program for an entire growing season, will receive two free tickets to a food or culinary event at Powell Gardens.
- A discount in the Perennial Gift shop and discount in the café (café discount only on day you volunteer)
- All volunteers receive individual free general admission to Powell Gardens year-round (children, grandchildren, or spouses of volunteers need to pay for admission). Festivals are not considered part of general admission. Volunteers assisting with festivals will receive free festival admission and parking on the day they volunteer at a particular festival.
- Access to ongoing education opportunities during the year about horticulture topics, the gardens, the collection, or Powell Gardens architecture provided by Powell Gardens’ staff and outside speakers.
- Monthly e-newsletter communication and other written and emailed correspondence during the year from the volunteer coordinator.
- All volunteers receive the printed publication The Garden View.
- FOUR volunteer appreciation events during the year for recognition and celebration of volunteer work.
- Powell Gardens’ volunteers have access to a library and volunteer lounge.
- Powell Gardens’ volunteer have the opportunity to be part of a close-knit community, learn about the gardens, and support Powell Garden’s mission.
- Powell Gardens volunteers have the ability to impact the lives of Powell Gardens’ audiences of all ages.
Information posted has been provided by the named organization. Nonprofit Connect neither verifies nor endorses any organization or information posted, and we do not assume liability for opportunities offered. Nonprofit Connect reserves the right to remove any posting.