Volunteer Opportunities and Board Positions
We list volunteer opportunities and open board positions in the Kansas City region. Browse the list to find nonprofit organizations in need of individual and group volunteers, as well as skilled board members.
Nonprofit and Business members can post volunteer opportunities and board positions for free.
Individual members and nonmembers can submit their opportunities for $25 per week.
*If you are posting an open board position, make sure to select Board of Directors as your Category. Consider using our board position description template to make sure you provide the right information.
This is a part-time unpaid volunteer position with a flexible schedule, Monday-Friday; Position reports to the Operations Manager.
● Deliver an appreciative culture to volunteers to ensure groups are properly acknowledged and engaged in the mission.
● Assist with scheduling Core Volunteers to help deliver the mission of The Sewing Labs
● Provide coordination for all aspects of the volunteer program, including recruitment and scheduling of volunteer groups, notifying them of expectations and guidelines
● Be a liaison to the community and corporations that are interested in participating in the volunteer program to inform them of the various opportunities within volunteerism.
● Maintain scheduling and calendar databases for the volunteer program. Maintain connections with volunteers thru telephone, social media,email and/or other sources
● Ensure appropriate and adequate tracking and reporting of group volunteer information,contacts and action items, maintain the statistics required to support the program and including monthly reports to supervisor. ● Provide ongoing support with managing scheduling systems. ● Assist with ongoing volunteer program initiatives and projects ● Other assignments as required.
● Passion for the mission of The Sewing Labs
● Knowledge and similar work experience in the field is preferred.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong desire to work with people.
● Must exhibit good organization and planning and be able to provide direction and support.
● Must demonstrate good judgment, good decision-making ability, creativity and dependability.
● Proven time management, prioritization and organizational skills to handle a high volume of volunteer inquiries and requests.
● Ability to work independently and initiate solutions to problems.
● Ability to learn new and progressive online systems and scheduling tools quickly.
● Ability to assist with data entry; attention detail oriented.
● Competency in a variety of computer applications such as Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., as well as an ability to quickly learn and operate agency volunteer databases application.
Creating a Long Time Volunteer Plan - keeping volunteers engaged & happy
● Assure that each volunteer has been assigned duties that “call to their heart”. Periodically review with the volunteer what they want to do and adjust when needed.
● Assure all volunteers have attended the Volunteer Orientation within 90 days of going.
● Each volunteer are invited to participate in the “Quick Sew Projects” and “Sewing Basic” classes for Free. Credits for all other classes are earned thru volunteer hours worked.
● Encourage and build a volunteer pool that serves the organization, the community and themselves.
● Promote & recognize volunteers monthly with thanks and rewards programs such as “hours tracker report. A Volunteer can earn points that can be redeemed for either class/workshop participation or fabric redemption or other designated items. Points earned cannot be redeemed for the following class/workshops; Gratitude & Grace Retreat, or off site workshops. See awards program definitions for understanding.
● Foster collaborations with multiple volunteers. For example; TSL participates in community outreach projects such as; pillow project, Maker’s Faire, Operation Breakthrough, etc. When a group of volunteers work to accomplish these, they will build friendships and a network to support each other but, especially support themselves.
● Meet or exceed the expectations of the volunteers by providing them with the following ○ Provide volunteer with all necessary information or training relating to the job assigned including the time/place of where to report, liability, confidentiality, safety training
○ Provide volunteers with information concerning, the screening process, roles available, terms of dismissal
○ Know volunteer by name and be known by the key contacts - make sure that all volunteers are introduced and provided with introductions and name tags if needed.
○ Provide volunteers with a written description to outline the details of their role, including the responsibilities and expectations
○ Orient the volunteer to the goals of the project
○ Provide the specific training needed
○ Give volunteer feedback and guidance to perform their role at an exceptional level.
○ Inform the volunteer to understand the impact of their service
● Use the following to enhance the volunteer experience
○ Make sure activities are a social experience - meet new people, build friendships
○ Run organized program/projects -
■ Demonstrate good follow thru on all projects
■ Have the correct # of people needed
■ Have enough to do
■ Build encouragement & contributions
○ Use Social media for engagement; Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
○ Demonstrate Gratitude
○ Evaluate the impact
This Volunteer Opportunity is promoted by Nonprofit Connect.
Information posted has been provided by the named organization. Nonprofit Connect neither verifies nor endorses any organization or information posted, and we do not assume liability for opportunities offered. Nonprofit Connect reserves the right to remove any posting.