Volunteer Opportunities and Board Positions
We list volunteer opportunities and open board positions in the Kansas City region. Browse the list to find nonprofit organizations in need of individual and group volunteers, as well as skilled board members.
Nonprofit and Business members can post volunteer opportunities and board positions for free.
Individual members and nonmembers can submit their opportunities for $25 per week.
*If you are posting an open board position, make sure to select Board of Directors as your Category. Consider using our board position description template to make sure you provide the right information.
Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity
Volunteer Position: Development AssistantVolunteer Reports to: Carla Simpson, Development Director
Goal: Funding our vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live requires thoughtful interactions with our supporters to encourage increased and ongoing support. The Development Assistant helps the Development Director with office tasks that allow us to better engage our supporters.
Summary: The Development Assistant Volunteer will perform a variety of office tasks depending on project deadlines in the Independence office. This will include typing and sending donation acknowledgments, making phone calls, data entry, scheduling meetings, and other administrative tasks as assigned by the Development Director. This position helps to extend the resources of Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity to better assist our supporters and those we serve.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Writing and tracking donor acknowledgments
- Data entry and reports, including Salesforce Database
- Mailings and Marketing Materials
- Answering phones, making calls
- Scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, prepping for meetings, taking notes
- Maintenance of office space (so we are ready for drop-ins by donors)
- Other duties specifically around coordination of special events or as assigned
- Computer and copier skills are essential
- Must be very comfortable with Office especially Word, Outlook, and Excel. Ability to mail merge (or willingness to learn through self-teaching).
- Must be able to handle computer tasks with limited additional training/oversight from staff. A comfort level in using the help tools or going online to learn is an asset.
- Ability to carefully enter data in our Salesforce database without errors (existing knowledge a major plus, or ease at picking up new systems).
- Present a professional appearance and a friendly manner
- Be dependable and punctual
- Be courteous and personable when dealing with the public
- Be self-directed, willing to take initiative, and detail-oriented
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment where schedules may change with short notice.
- Respect and maintain the confidentiality of Truman Habitat volunteers, partners, and donors
- Typically about 5 hours per week, varies based on current projects. Flexible timing weekdays between 9a and 5p, with occasional evening meetings, if you are available. Additional time available if desired.
Information posted has been provided by the named organization. Nonprofit Connect neither verifies nor endorses any organization or information posted, and we do not assume liability for opportunities offered. Nonprofit Connect reserves the right to remove any posting.