Position: Accounting Assistant
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Chief Finance and Operations Officer
The accounting clerk will be responsible for accounting, bookkeeping, and other administrative tasks. The position is responsible for performing complex accounting clerical activities, recording financial information, and record-keeping. The Accounting Assistant will be responsible for assisting in preparing financial statements, which consists of preparing and posting general ledger entries, performing bank account and payroll liability reconciliations, recording balance sheet transactions, and timekeeping administration for the bi-weekly payroll, and other general administrative duties as needed.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Administering payroll and controlling income and expenditure
- Auditing financial information
- Accounts payable and receivable
- Ensure accurate recording of payables
- Record daily cash receipts and post ledger entries
- Maintain PR files both paper and electronic
- Create and reconcile AR invoices and Promise to Give
- Assist with development and maintenance of operational accounting procedures
- Provide support to the accounting administrator with assigned tasks
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Create and process purchase orders
- Manage any employee complaints and questions regarding payroll and investigate and resolve any errors in payroll in a timely manner.
- Record payroll data in our software system and verify all amounts prior to cutting checks
Skills and Qualifications
- A high school diploma or equivalent required
- AA or AS in Accounting or related business degree.
- 1-3 years of experience or the ability to demonstrated success with bookkeeping, accounting and AP/AR, ideally within a non-profit or in the education industry.
- Experience with multiple accounting and payroll software packages desired, Paycor, and Quickbooks a plus.
- Proficiency in Excel required; Word and PowerPoint proficiencies desired.
- Must have a professional demeanor.
- Possess strong accounting skills.
- Great communication skills, both oral and written
- Good interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail
- Well organized
- Be able to work independently and adapt to change.
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and be able to tactfully deal with interruptions.
- Set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Provide outstanding customer service to internal (co-workers) customers, donors and vendors.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance and punctuality
- Work cooperatively and interact professionally with others
- Willingness to learn new skills, ability to work well under pressure, adhere to strict deadlines, handle multiple interruptions, and ability to adjust priorities throughout the day
- Be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Frequent bending, walking, squatting, lifting, standing, and/or sitting.
- Exposure to childhood illnesses and diseases
- Exposure to varying outside temperatures (heat & cold)
- The accounting clerk must be able to travel between sites, attend conferences, training and other events as required to maintain proficiency in fulfilling the responsibilities of the position.
United Inner City Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.