Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
The Heart of America Council, Boy Scouts of America is the largest youth serving agency in the greater Kansas City area with over 21,000 youth and volunteer leaders. The Heart of America Council has a full-time staff of 40. It is a $48M organization with an annual operating budget of more than $7.5M. We are governed through a Board of Directors comprised of community and business leaders.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:Accounting & Fiscal Management Controls:
- Give leadership to the accounting and bookkeeping staff to ensure timely and accurate processing of financial information including:
- Cash Receipts
- Accounts Payable
- Cash Disbursements
- Supporting Journals
- Subsidiary ledgers
- Ensure the timely and accurate issuance of monthly Financial Statements.
- Provide leadership and support to the Council Treasurer, and Assistant Treasurer.
- Serve as the staff advisor to the Audit Committee and ensure the timely completion of an unqualified audit that meets the presentation requirements of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Working with the Council Auditor, ensure the timely preparation and submission of IRS Form 990.
- Provide leadership to the budget development process that results in an approved annual budget that is representative of the Council’s growth objectives.
- Adequately monitor the Council’s financial status to ensure key management and the Executive Committee is aware of significant variances from budget and formulate appropriate strategies to ensure the Council’s growth objectives are attained.
- Manage cash flow to ensure adequate reserves are maintained.
- Serve as staff advisor to the Trust Investment Advisory Committee in their stewardship responsibilities of the Council’s endowment funds.
- Attend monthly Executive Committee/Board meetings.
- Offsite visits as needed to summer camp operations in Osceola, MO and Bonner Springs, KS.
- Proficiency with office software applications and the ability to interface with financial accounting, procurement, and administrative information systems such as PeopleSoft, Blackbaud, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Provide assistance with Blackbaud CRM. Understand Blackbaud to assist with Query’s, constituent look up and assist FR Data questions.
- Payroll Accounting Specialist
- Accounts Payable Specialist
- Data Management Specialist
- Technology Manager
- Registration Manager
- The incumbent must have strong people and communication skills, with the ability to interface and manage other support staff, seasonal employees, professional employees, and key volunteers.
- Solid vendor management skills are required to effectively manage interactions and relationships with outside auditors, attorneys, and relevant consultants.
- An undergraduate degree in accounting, finance or other relevant area is required. An advanced degree and/or CPA designation is preferred.
- Must have knowledge and experience of fund accounting.
- Must have high personal standards and expectations.
- A working knowledge of human resources / personnel practices.
- Should have strong organizational, time management and decision-making skills.
- Must have the ability to work with and lead a staff and the willingness to do “hands on” work.
- Not-for-profit work experience preferred.
- Competitive “market-based” Salary
- Matching 403b Plan
- Business Expense Reimbursement
- Continuing Education & Training Opportunities
Council Website: www.hoac-bsa.org
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $75,000 - 99,999