Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
BikeWalkKC is hiring a part-time Controller to replace our retiring part-time Finance Manager.
Status: Part-time, 20-30 hours per week, non-exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Located at: 1106 East 30th Street in Midtown Kansas City, MO
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with significant accounting and finance experience, ideally in a reasonably complex nonprofit that has multiple programs and funding sources. This position would be well-suited for an experienced finance professional transitioning into semi-retirement, reentering the workforce, or otherwise seeking a flexible part-time opportunity.
BikeWalkKC has varied program offerings and diverse funding sources, including local, federal, corporate, individual and foundation sources. Knowledge and understanding of federal budget and reporting requirements is critical, including management and reporting of indirect costs.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Controller will be responsible for a budget of just under $2 million and will lead all day-to-day finance, accounting, and reporting activities. The Controller will ensure that BikeWalkKC has the systems and procedures in place to report accurate and timely board, management and grant reports and conduct flawless audits.
The Controller will work closely with the senior leadership team, program directors and their staffs, not only to help educate them regarding finance and accounting processes but also explore how the finance function can better support program operations.
Finance and Accounting Leadership:
- Oversee all accounting and reporting systems ensuring compliance with accounting standards and regulatory requirements; establish effective finance and administrative processes to support program operations.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards of receipt of revenue, organizational assets, and expenditures.
- Coordinate all activity necessary to complete flawless audits, issuance of 990s, and compliance with payroll tax requirements.
- Analyze financial data and present results in an accurate and timely manner; communicate clear and informative financial statements; monitor progress and keep senior leadership abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Lead the program directors in the annual budgeting process; administer and review of all financial plans; compare to actual results to identify & explain variances, taking corrective measures as appropriate.
- Support the Executive Director in engaging the board’s executive and finance committees concerning not-for-profit accounting standards, issues, and trends.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that actual expenditures are consistently aligned with program budgets throughout the grant/program period; compile financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grant reporting and billings.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting and work in partnership with the leadership team to assess the financial viability of program operations.
- Manage and track performance of invested assets in keeping with board policies and investment guidelines.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities; develop and implement training programs as needed.
- Supervise a part-time bookkeeper responsible for transaction processing and co-supervise a part-time office manager that helps with data entry tasks.
Specific Qualifications Include:
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to BikeWalkKC’s mission;
- Proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own the responsibility of all finance and accounting functions.
- Strong personal initiative, deadline driven, highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple priorities.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budgets, forecasting, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, human resources, not-for-profit tax issues, and cash management.
- A track record in grants management, compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants.
- Technology savvy with advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Keen analytical and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data (i.e., dashboards), including presentations to senior management, board members, significant donors, and/or other outside partners.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all employees of the organization, and desire to translate relatively complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels.
Compensation and Benefits
The hourly range for this position is between $25/hour and $30/hour. Benefits include:
- Health insurance stipend
- SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% employer match (after 12 months of service)
- Free bike share membership with RideKC Bike
- Discounts on bike accessories and outdoor equipment/apparel
??BikeWalkKC is an open office environment with a collaborative, supportive work culture. Most office-based employees are currently working in hybrid arrangements. Much of this position’s work can be done remotely, but it will require availability during business hours for meetings and some work in the office. While the schedule can be very flexible, this position will not be a good fit if you have a full-time job during business hours.
Applications are accepted online through the Breezy.HR system. Click here to see the full job description and to submit an application.
We are looking for one individual to fill this role and will not consider agencies or consulting services.
BikeWalkKC is the region’s professional advocacy and education organization. We are a growing team of passionate and hard-working advocates, educators, planners, and social entrepreneurs making Kansas City a better place to live, work, and play. Our culture is collaborative and supportive, encouraging risk-taking, excellence, and constant learning. You will work hard, have fun, and make an impact on the community.
Commitment to Equity and Diversity
BikeWalkKC has a commitment to support diversity and equal opportunity in its services, administration, employment, research, and activities. As such we strive to foster a working environment that values contributions from team members regardless of race, color, creed, gender, religion, culture, sexual orientation, sexual identity, mental disabilities, physical disabilities, or veteran status.
Job Type: Part Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999