Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Accounting and Administration
Do you long to make a positive impact on the world while using your accounting and administrative skills and experience? Are you an organized, priority-juggling, self-initiator who likes to have variety in your job? Do you thrive working both at the office and remotely? YVC is looking for candidates with a breadth of experience for this exciting position at its international headquarters!
The Organization: Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is an international network of youth development programs headquartered in Kansas City, MO. YVC engages youth ages 11-18 in team-based service experiences that build life and work skills while inspiring a lifetime ethic of service. Since 1987, over 300,000 YVC youth volunteers throughout the U.S., Canada, and Uganda have served over 5 million hours in their local communities!
Position Summary: This is a multi-faceted role at YVC Headquarters that supports our growing organization and a need for a central person coordinating accounting and various administrative and human resources functions. Special projects and responsibilities will be given based on candidate strengths. You will report directly to and will work closely with the VP of Operations.
Location and Culture: YVC’s national headquarters is located in a beautifully restored home built in 1874 in the Quality Hill District of downtown Kansas City. Inside this house, you’ll find energy, enthusiasm, and loyalty to the idea that youth-service can change the world. You will join a staff working hard toward a powerful mission while also having a lot of fun! The schedule will be hybrid (office 2 days and remote 3 days) after 90 days onboarding.
Skills needed for a successful experience in this position:
• Proficient knowledge of office software (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel) and ability to effectively conduct internet research
• Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien Characteristics for a successful experience in this position:
• Detail-oriented, thorough, and accurate
• Highly organized and systematic in approach, ability to juggle multiple priorities
• High initiative and ownership; excellent independence and follow-through
• Effective writing and editing skills
• Good interpersonal skills and desire to help others
• Analytical; excellent critical thinking skills
• Good judgment and decision-making skills, effective problem-solving ability
• Consistently positive attitude
• Excitement about our mission Primary
• Work with payroll company to manage YVC compensation. Review semi-monthly timesheets through payroll software. Gather and submit semi-monthly payroll and quarterly payroll tax paperwork to payroll company. Work with state and federal entities for any withholding tax issues/questions.
• Prepare annual organizational budget ($1.4 million). Assist with development of program budgets and grant budgets.
• Monitor income and expenses on an ongoing basis. Annually, prepare the functional expense allocation.
• Maintain accurate records of restricted funds. Advise accounting firm on appropriate release of restricted funds.
• Complete monthly review of investments, bank statements, GL coding, and bank reconciliations completed by accounting firm.
• Prepare documents for annual audit independently and with accounting firm. Be primary liaison for on-site audit team.
• Work with accountant firm or independently complete annual 990.
Human Resources (30%)
• Coordinate new employee onboarding and orientation.
Administrative Responsibilities (20%)
• Review annual insurance needs and recommend appropriate renewal. Coordinate volunteer insurance for YVC affiliates.
• Coordinate staff technology needs with contracted IT company.
• Support YVCHQ’s annual Summit through special projects assigned to each YVCHQ team member based upon role and strengths.
• Serve as administrative manager for the organization, including working with building company for facility needs, handling mail, developing staff meeting agendas, and keeping YVC as an entity organized!
Compensation: This role is full-time, exempt with an expectation of 40 hours per week, and a starting salary range of $50,000 – $65,000. Salary and job title will be commensurate with knowledge/experience related to the position.
Paid Time Off (PTO): This position starts with three weeks PTO and 14 paid holidays per year.
Benefits: YVC’s benefits include highly subsidized employee medical insurance and life insurance, with options for employee-paid dental, vision, additional life insurance, and family coverage. A retirement plan is available, and YVC matches 50% of employee contributions up to 6% of income.
YVC is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We value all ethnicities, perspectives, and preferences. YVC thrives on diversity, knowing how much it benefits our employees, our youth, and our communities. We are committed to building and supporting a diverse workforce and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter or email to email@example.com with “Director of Accounting and Administration” in the subject line. In your cover letter/email, please explain why this position is a good fit for your skills and why it is one you desire.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999