Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Department: Finance/Accounting, VCP HQ
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Veterans Community Project (VCP) Overview
Founded in 2015 in Kansas City, MO, VCP is dedicated to supporting every man and woman who took the oath to defend our nation. The greatest barrier to ending Veteran homelessness is the revolving door of unstable housing and the frustrating maze Veterans must navigate in order to get basic support. We believe that to be an effective program, the first step is to connect Veterans and the community. VCP created an innovative homeless housing program and outreach assistance that provides inclusive services to aid Veterans in re-claiming control over their lives.
The overall goal of VCP is to collaborate not to compete with the social services sphere. We focus on three lines of effort: 1) Build and maintain transitional housing, 2) Say “yes” to every Veteran in need through our outreach program and community-based housing. 3) Connect Veterans and the community. By 2022, we expect to have VCP Villages, VCP Community Centers, and Veterans Outreach Centers in eight cities across the United States. For more information, visit www.veteranscommunityproject.org.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for managing entry of VCP’s day to day expenses and contributions; building accounting processes; developing dynamic reports and providing research that support finance goals; and developing best practices to optimize efficiencies. She/he will work closely with the CFO related to management of the accounting and finance systems and processes in order to achieve our finance goals and the VCP mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the organization’s general ledger software (currently Intacct) ensuring systems are in place to accurately maintain records, optimize system tools, and access accounting data.
- Ensure accurate daily gift entry (by self or volunteer), overseeing correct finance and development department coding, and recording deposit in accounting software; create bank deposits.
- Manage credit card accounts, ensuring proper coding of expenses.
- Process accounts payable invoices, ensuring timely payment to vendors, and proper coding to department, expense, and location.
- Produce complex journal entries and account reconciliations including but not limited to cash, prepaid expenses, payroll, and intercompany transfers.
- Conduct month end close, reconciliations, and journal entries, without supervision.
- Develop and maintain department business processes and standard operating procedure (SOP) manuals including policies and procedures.
- Communicate with external and internal stakeholders over the phone and in person to support the finance team.
- Maintain files in a current and accessible manner.
- Foster relationships with other departments at VCP to build a cooperative and effective program and promote a culture of philanthropy.
- Be able to share the VCP story and Mission Statement.
Competencies and Areas of Expertise may Include:
- Passion for the mission of VCP.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent educational experience.
- Minimum 5+ years progressively responsible related experience; or any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Work experience preferably in non-profit environment.
- Advanced knowledge of general ledger software is required (ie: Microsoft Dynamics, Xero, Intacct)
- Advanced knowledge of CRM software (ie: Raiser’s Edge, NEON, Salesforce)
- Advanced knowledge of technical computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), including ability to utilize technology for research.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with emphasis on building relationships.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to develop and deliver compelling arguments regarding the value proposition of VCP. Ability to express ideas and facts in a clear and understandable manner appropriate for the individual or group; listens to and comprehends what others are saying; prepare organized and structured presentations; has demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of sensitive and confidential issues and communicate effectively with a diverse group of donors, volunteers, and staff.
- Self-motivated to set, attain, and surpass goals, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with and train employees and volunteers as needed to meet goals.
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality of information, records, and materials.
- Self-management and assurance - assesses own skills and abilities and identifies areas for improvement; willingly accepts constructive feedback; seeks developmental opportunities; sets and achieves goals; works independently. Demonstrated confidence to prepare for conversations and visits with potential donors by gathering key information and setting strong objectives to achieve successful outcome.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external constituents.
- Flexibility is a key attribute for this position. VCP is a fast-paced environment. A willingness to take on additional duties, or change course, to ensure the success of the organization is essential.
- Must possess intellectual curiosity and a desire to continuously learn and grow as well as curiosity to understand how your job impacts the work of others.
- Must have organizational skills and attention to details. Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner. Must have the ability to manage projects, workload, and engage constructively with the other members of the VCP team.
- Strong performance management and evaluation capabilities are required including the willingness and ability to ensure accountability. Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
Please email cover letter and resume to Angela Gum, Chief Financial Officer, email@example.com.
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description. Any essential function or requirement of this job will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent or applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation(s) for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent or applicant when possible.
Job Type: Full Time