Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Academic Secretary (9-month Appointment) - Kansas City Art Institute
Full-Time 9- Month Appointment
The Kansas City Art Institute (KCAI), a national leader in visual arts and design education, is seeking applications for the full-time Academic Year position of Academic Secretary. KCAI offers an exceptional benefits vacation and holiday package for full-time staff including 100% employer paid insurance and a 5% retirement match for eligible participants.
Our Mission: Preparing gifted students to transform the world creatively through art and design.
Our Vision: To be an innovative leader in art and design education.
NARRATIVE GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Reports to Academic Affairs Administrative Assistant and to assigned academic department chair(s). Provides strong clerical, secretarial and general office support. As an academic year appointment, this position routinely starts work 5 days before fall classes begin through 5 days after fall classes end, and 5 days before spring classes begin through 5 days after spring classes end.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide full spectrum of clerical and office support to the Academic Affairs office and assigned academic departments. There are four academic secretaries who are assigned to several different departments (Foundation, Photography/Filmmaking, Animation/Interactive Arts), (Ceramics, Graphic Design, Illustration), (Fiber, Liberal Arts, and VAWG)
- Receive and greet visitors
- Assist faculty and students
- Track and monitor departmental budget(s)
- Maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
- Produce correspondence, memos, and statistical reports, distribute as appropriate and retain file copies.
- Work with the department chair on special projects and/or reports as assigned.
- Utilize the campus integrated database system for purchasing and informational needs.
- Assist the chair with part-time faculty contract preparation and course submission forms.
- Draft correspondence and memos for review when requested.
- Answer, screen phone calls, and take detailed messages.
- Receive and sort mail for assigned departments.
- Maintain various office files and records according to current policies.
- Prepare and submit purchasing requisitions for approval to the chair.
- Record other meeting minutes as assigned.
- Make sure all syllabi are turned into the academic affairs office each semester.
- Other duties relevant to the job as assigned.
SUPERVISES THE FOLLOWING STAFF:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to use current computer equipment and programs being used by the division. Including, but not limited to:
- Microsoft Office Suite products (including Word, Excel, and Power Point),
- Advanced Excel knowledge including charts, and budget spreadsheets
- Familiar with Google (Gmail, calendar, Google docs, etc.)
- Must have strong administrative, computer, organizational and detail skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Possess strong problem solving skills with the ability to monitor own work for accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to clearly communicate in oral and written form.
- Ability to hear normal audio levels of speaking whether in person or over the phone.
- Must be multi-task oriented
- Must deliver excellent customer service with the ability to resolve conflicts in a constructive manner
- General office experience, preferably in an academic environment
- Computer user experience in standard word processing and spreadsheet programs
REQUIRED/PREFERRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Secondary education required with 60 college hours preferred
About KCAI: The Kansas City Art Institute is a private, independent and accredited college of art and design founded in 1885, and located in the cultural heart of metropolitan Kansas City, Missouri. The college enrolls nearly 600 undergraduate students regionally, nationally, and internationally. For more information, please visit www.kcai.edu.
Applications deadline and procedures:
This position is considered “open” until an offer of employment has been accepted. Career inquiries and resume submissions received during the on-campus finalist stage of the search are not guaranteed consideration.
Apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attach to the email in PDF format only:
List of 3 professional references we may contact
Kansas City Art Institute is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, gender identity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law.
KCAI provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in the job application process. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact the Human Resources Department about your interest in employment. Any questions or concerns can be directed to Kansas City Art Institute’s Human Resource Administrator at email@example.com .
Job Type: Full Time