Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Emergency Services Assistant
This position will lead the effort to help clients with immediate needs for emergency assistance such as food, clothing, medical and utility assistance as well as providing referrals to other internal and external resources as needed. In addition, operates multiline telephone system to answer incoming calls and directs callers to appropriate personnel and managing visitor and client flow by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acknowledge everyone that walks through the front door.
- Monitor and process visitor access based on the guidelines established by CSL for client flow.
- Assess client needs and follow agency guidelines and procedures regarding eligibility for services
- Provide clients with internal and external agency referrals as needed
- Assist in the operations of the front desk regarding data entry, pantry information, building maintenance, etc.
- Connect visiting donors with the appropriate team member for assistance.
- Maintain confidentiality of all visitors and clients including the shredding of personal information.
- Communicate CSL activities including closing of office and early closing of lobby or organization. Ensure that signage is posted asap at doors, pantry, and lobby.
- Help clients achieve economic stability through needs identification, program assistance, and referrals, using directive and supportive behavior.
- Refer clients internally if someone in the household is seeking/needing employment, housing assistance, utility assistance, or other supportive help.
- Answers incoming telephone calls, determines purpose of callers, and forwards calls to appropriate personnel or department.
- Answers questions about organization and provides callers with address, directions, and other information.
- Performs other clerical duties as needed, such as filing, photocopying, and collating.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Word and Excel, Outlook, and Internet Explorer
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999