Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
This is a non-exempt position that reports directly to a director for this department. This position is administrative and clerical in nature working under the direction of the director. This position requires knowledge of the methods and procedures that are part of an administrative or program area. Work is carried out under procedures and established methods. Problems and issues that are not easily resolved are referred to a higher authority. This position acts as the primary support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors and acts as a liaison, helping facilitate communication between the Executive Director, Board of Directors and IAAO directors and employees.
- Handles confidential association matters.
- Takes notes and prepares official minutes of Board of Directors meetings and other meetings as assigned. Prepares minutes for distribution and publication.
- Maintains the files of Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Answers the telephone and greets the public, screens and refers callers and visitors, researches and answers various inquiries, and provides information on departmental services and functions.
- Maintains Executive Director's calendar and IAAO planning calendar, and independently schedules appointments.
- Facilitates preparation of records such as agendas, notices, minutes, and resolutions for corporate meetings. Works with IAAO staff to make sure all appropriate reports and issues are provided in a timely manner for board review.
Acts as a liaison to committees as assigned by Executive Director. Helps to establish office organization, process and documentation.
- Creates and maintains database and spreadsheet files.
- Creates and maintains leadership directory and leadership orientation handbook.
- Responds to inquiries of members and non-members as necessary.
- Coordinates mailings.
- Records and types various documents, including, but not limited to minutes, agendas, correspondence, invoices, etc.
- Composes and manages correspondence, types letters, emails, memos, notices, public relations, and community notices.
- Sets up meetings and organizes space and support items for meetings, including computer support, meals, and recording equipment.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
SUPERVISORY FUNCTIONS: None.
KNOWLEDGE AND PROFICIENCY:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Adobe; proficiency in using software specific to association management.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, scanning documents, designing forms, manipulating data through spreadsheets or databases, and other office procedures.
- Skill in communicating effectively in writing and orally as appropriate for the needs of the audience;
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, reports, and files.
- Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.
- Ability to deal with public relations issues tactfully and courteously.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive rapport with a wide variety of stakeholders including staff, members, committees and others to promote the association in a positive light.
- Ability to work additional hours and to travel overnight.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write and prepare routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with customers or coworkers.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but involve written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree; or four to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, degree in Business, Marketing, Non-Profit Management or related area.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color, and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full Time