Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Head Start Program Coordinator
The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) is seeking a qualified individual to serve as a Head Start Program Coordinator. This person will be responsible for providing critical support to the Head Start Director and the Head Start program by performing a variety of complex fiscal, technical and administrative duties.
MARC is a nonprofit association of the Kansas City area’s city and county governments, and the region’s metropolitan planning organization.
The Head Start and Early Head Start programs promote school readiness by enhancing the social and cognitive development of low-income children through a variety of services, including early childhood education, health and nutrition services and parental involvement.
About the Role
The Program Coordinator ensures the efficient operation of the Head Start program and acts as the liaison with staff, delegates, outside agencies and the general public. This position is responsible for implementing fiscal and administrative tasks, as well as program operations tasks to support the MARC Head Start program.
What You Will Do
- Represent MARC Head Start Program and other MARC programs in a positive manner, interacting professionally with the general public and colleagues.
- Meeting/event coordination – creates meeting agendas, meeting packets, minutes, correspondence, reports, coordinates meeting logistics, secures needed resources for meeting attendees, manages annual Head Start calendar.
- Provide word processing services and assistance in creating Head Start staff or parent communications including presentations, memos, reports, newsletters and other types of correspondence.
- Plan and oversee a system for maintenance of program files, to include reports, correspondence, newsletters, meeting minutes, training logs, safety logs, program forms, contracts, correspondence, grant reports along with HS Program Director.
- Prepare Purchase Orders, track expenditures and prepare other financial information for provision to the Finance Department.
- Manage reimbursements to parents and committee members for meetings and special programs. Determine method of payment, distribute and ensure appropriate documentation.
- Track and document in-kind and other allowable costs applied toward the non-federal share requirement.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for Head Start staff and partner agency staff , including completing required documentation; reviewing returning documentation for completeness and compliance with MARC and federal policies; and, submitting for reimbursement.
- Process credit card transactions and enter in GP accounting software; reconcile credit card charges monthly and submit to accounting for Head Start staff.
- Maintain mail and email distribution lists.
- Receipt and distribution of incoming and outgoing mail, shipments, etc.
- Monitor timelines for contracts and initiate the addendum and renewal process.
- Consolidate input from Head Start program managers and the Grant Manager and make annual updates Direct Service Providers, agencies and individual contractors contract documents for review and approval by the Head Start Director.
- Distribute contracts for internal and external signatures.
- Secure, track, and store insurance certificates from contractors.
- Maintain correspondence and documentation related to contracts.
- Coordinate purchasing activities for equipment, furniture, and supplies, to include obtaining bids/quotes, placing orders, accepting delivery, and disseminating products.
- Ensure compliance with MARC and federal purchasing protocols, including facilitating Board approval when required. Provide guidance to staff on the procurement methods and accounting policies (Davis Bacon and other federal requirements)
- Maintain and update inventory tracking and reporting in Excel for all new/current equipment/supplies and technology; Make sure they are appropriately labeled
- Create and execute transfer of equipment agreements with Direct Service Providers.
Who You Are
- Associates degree
- Two years of successful and progressively responsible related work
- Must be available, as requested, for a variety of evening and weekend meetings, as well as social and community events
- Must be able to successfully pass a background and FBI fingerprinting check
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to life up to 20 lbs
You will stand out if you have:
- Experience in Head Start
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Strong organizational skills.
- Requires strong attention to detail, especially as it applies to financial and regulatory tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, ability to handle multiple demands simultaneously while producing desired results.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of an integrated team.
- Handle multiple projects and support diverse constituencies is essential.
- Strong work ethic with intrinsic motivation and ability to take a high level of personal accountability for the quality and timeliness of work.
- Ability to accept and act upon supervisory guidance.
- Excellent and proactive communication skills with supervisors, colleagues, and community partners.
- Ability to be productive and manage emotions and stress in a high-paced environment with flexibility around changing priorities.
- Positive customer service attitude with internal and external customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully (verbally, in writing and non-verbally) with a wide range of constituents and diverse populations, including diverse socio-economic, ability/disability, rural/urban, racial, ethnic, age, gender, family make-up and education levels.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Proactive problem-solving skills.
- Considerable knowledge of standard office administrative and clerical practices and procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Strong ability to use these programs to manage data and committee lists and create documents.
- Effective writing skills to accurately and succinctly summarize information into an organized and easily understood format.
- Organizational skills to effectively manage documents, calendars, information, meetings, and events.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary for this position is from $20.37 per hour up to $24.04, depending upon qualifications. MARC offers an attractive team-oriented work environment along with a competitive fringe benefit package.
How to Apply
MARC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999