Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Wayside Waifs is Kansas City's largest and most comprehensive no kill pet adoption campus. For over 75 years we have been working diligently to partner pets and community for life. Wayside Waifs strives to enrich the lives of abandoned, abused and homeless animals until they find a new family home. We care for more than 6,500 animals every year. Wayside is a private, independent, nonprofit 501 (c)(3) charity with no government funding. We depend on the generosity of the community to continue our life-saving work.
Wayside Waifs is currently seeking to fill the Lead Receptionist position. Reporting to the Adoptions Manager, the Lead Receptionist is responsible for all day-to-day reception duties as well as additional duties and leadership responsibilities, as described below.
- Ensure that each guest receives the best possible customer service by greeting everyone with a smile and directing to the appropriate department.
- Serve as primary administrator for the Bark Park database, issuing park passes, and handling customer inquiries.
- Coordinate training program for reception staff with the Adoptions Manager. Co-manage volunteer training program to handle all scheduling, shadowing, and training for reception volunteers.
- Maintain and update all Reception SOP’s and training materials, coordinating changes with the Adoptions Manager.
- Provide oversight and assistance for the Community Service program, maintain and update the Community Service instruction binder, including task list, and serve as contact for the local Community Service programs.
- Serve as closing personnel and participate in the Manager on Duty (MOD) rotation, handling necessary after-hours duties and leadership tasks as outlined in the MOD protocols and the Reception Lead After-Hours & Leadership Tasks Guide.
- Handle Lost and Found inquiries and Return to Owner requests as well as manage the Wayside Lost & Found Wayside page and cross post to other lost and found pages.
- Answer incoming telephone calls for the adoptions department and main line, handling or routing as appropriate to other departments in the shelter
- Fold and sort donor letters for the Development department.
- Open or close reception area each day.
- Scan final adoption paperwork for adoptions department
- Cross-train in other Customer Experience positions, such as the retail store and adoptions.
- Assist with after-hours Pet Memorial Service clients when necessary.
- Consistently seek to improve operations and programming at reception, maintaining effective communication with all departments.
- Work closely with the Admissions team to support pet retention efforts.
- Other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ KEY COMPETENCIES
- Provide outstanding customer service
- Must have the ability to be flexible and open-minded with a willingness to consider different ideas and perspectives.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, management and public at all times, demonstrating an upbeat, team-oriented and positive attitude.
- Ability to multi-task
- Effectively train fellow staff and volunteers
- Strong attention to detail and task orientation
- Adept and able to learn new tasks quickly
- Capable of working under pressure at times
- Comfortable sharing space with another receptionist, while also having the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Uphold and believe in the Mission of Wayside Waifs.
- Work in office setting
- Use of computer and keyboard, telephone, copy machines, fax machine
- May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate to high
- Will frequently be working with and exposed to a variety of animals
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- One-year of experience in customer service related field preferred
- Clerical experience preferred
- Computer experience—Windows based; will be trained on other software applications
Wayside Waifs offers the following benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Life, Vision and Long Term Disability
- PTO (Vacation and Sick Time)
- Six and a half paid Holidays
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.waysidewaifs.org. You may also send your resume, cover letter, and three professional references directly to: Melissa Crites, Human Resources Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just as Wayside Waifs has committed to providing compassionate care for the thousands of homeless animals who enter our shelter each year, we are equally committed to providing a healthy and humane working environment for our employees. Wayside Waifs is an EOE and is looking for diversity in candidates for employment.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: Up to $29,999