Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Meals On Wheels Program Coordinator
Meals on Wheels Program Coordinator
KC Shepherd's Center (KCSC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created in 1972 to empower older adults to live healthy, engaged and independent lives. KCSC provides services that allow older adults to successfully age in place with dignity, remain engaged in the fabric of their community, prevent premature institutionalization, and improve overall quality of life. KCSC believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success. We are intentional about recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse staff and Board who are committed to the KCSC mission, possess knowledge and skills needed to meet current needs and position us to meet our goals and future growth.
Meals on Wheels (MOW) is More Than a Meal ™. We are committed to providing nutritious home delivered meals, personal connection, support and other safety-net services to homebound older adults. The successful candidate will bring a passion for the mission and a desire to make a difference. The MOW Program Coordinator will be flexible, possess strong organizational skills, be a team player, and be able to adapt to changes in a rapidly growing program by prioritizing daily assignments. They will possess a genuine interest in working with older adults, and assist with promoting a positive atmosphere to ensure the highest level of client service.
This position will share and rotate this onsite supervision of the program with other staff members from KCSC. Normally they may be at the site an average of 2-3 days and in the office the other days of the week.
This position reports to the Director of MOW
Part Time, Hourly/Non-Exempt: 25 hours a week.
- Oversee and facilitate the delivery and repacking of sealed, catered hot meals into thermal bags that are then delivered to our clients by volunteer drivers Monday – Friday.
- Complete and maintain accurate and timely documentation of hot meal units received and delivered.
- Update the databases with daily meal counts and additional assessment or changes in contact information.
- Provide leadership and coordination for the volunteers. Assist with ongoing volunteer appreciation.
- Ensure all meal delivery routes are consistently covered by tracking volunteer time-off requests and scheduling volunteers appropriately.
- Occasionally deliver meals in personal vehicle in absence of volunteers. We observe Federal mileage reimbursements for the use of personal vehicle. Occasionally may help delivery frozen meal boxes in MOW Fleet Vehicles.
- Ensure that food safety, sanitation and health standards, licenses and certifications are obtained on a timely basis, maintained, properly recorded and stored in accordance with the Kansas City MO Health Department.
- Identify needs of clients and make appropriate referrals to other KCSC programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and genuine ability to manage by influence versus authority
- Ability to professionally represent MOW and to exercise good judgment and decision making
- Ability to respond calmly and appropriately to all on-the-job situations, including emergencies
- Commitment to engagement in diversity, equity and inclusion work; willing and able to relate to individuals from all ethnic, racial, religious, or socioeconomic backgrounds
- Excellent communication, organizational, administrative and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to perform meal deliveries in all neighborhoods throughout Kansas City
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team in a collaborative environment and to work independently with limited regular supervision
- Actively support program efforts to help end hunger and food insecurities among the aging population in our community
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all client, staff, volunteer and business-related information
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Participate in all organizational or program specific events, trainings, and meeting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs required
- Data Entry experience required
- Ability to drive organizational vans required
- Customer Service experience preferred
- Volunteer Management experience preferred
- Constant standing and walking
- Occasional pushing/pulling
- Frequent bending and twisting at the waist
- Reaching above shoulder
- Occasional kneeling, squatting, climbing of stairs and crawling
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 40 pounds
- Typical office environment
- Certified kitchen at local church
- Meal deliveries in all weather conditions as needed
- Some college or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in food service with a thorough knowledge of maintaining health and sanitation standards
- Valid Food Handler’s Card or the ability to obtain within 14 days of employment required
- Proof of current auto insurance required
- BLS/First Aid – required within 90 days
- HIPAA Certification required – Provided through Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)
- Mandated Reporter Training required – Provided through MARC
- Elder Abuse Training required – Provided through MARC
- Acceptable criminal history background check
- Acceptable driving record
As part of the company's equal employment opportunity policy, KC Shepherd’s Center will also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
This job description is not designed or contains a completely comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Part Time