Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Admissions and Pet Retention Manager
Wayside Waifs is Kansas City's largest and most comprehensive no kill pet adoption campus. Since 1944, we have been working diligently to partner pets and community for life. Wayside Waifs strives to enrich the lives of abandoned, abused and homeless animals until they find a new family home. We care for more than 5,000 animals every year. Wayside is a private, independent, nonprofit 501 (c)(3) charity with no government funding. We depend on the generosity of the community to continue our life-saving work. Our Mission is preparing pets and people for the bond of their lives.
Wayside Waifs is currently seeking to fill our Admissions & Pet Retention Manager position. The job summary and responsibilities are as follows:
This position oversees our transfer, pet retention and animal surrender programs as well as our animal control partnerships and is responsible for providing oversight, leadership and direction to the Admissions and Pet Retention Staff. Promotes positive interactions between staff, volunteers, our animal control partners and the public by maintaining the highest quality of care for the animals entering Wayside Waifs. Ensures the public has a positive experience when surrendering an animal to Wayside by delivering exceptional and knowledgeable customer service. Consistently maintain a good variety of animals available for adoption at the shelter. Builds and maintains the pet retention program and disaster/emergency response efforts.
Staff Leadership and Direction
- Provide leadership and direct supervision to the Admissions staff, with respect to expectations, performance management and professional development.
- Coach and mentor staff on the day-to-day job requirements and expectations.
- Recruit, develop and inspire a highly effective team. Ensure that all staff are properly coached and directed, and that clearly defined measurements of performance and rewards are utilized to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness.
- Foster a positive workplace that results in the development of a high performing team of professionals and staff. ? Resolve conflicts, and ensure that all staff perform their functions in a manner consistent with organizational policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Encourage professional growth with all direct reports.
- Work to improve efficiencies in all areas of the department.
Achieve Organizational Results
- Work with staff and the Vice President of Animal Welfare and Operations to develop and implement program goals, objectives and outcome measurements that are consistent with the long-term strategic plan of the shelter.
- Monitor departmental productivity and quality of work on daily basis to ensure
- All animals impounded into the shelter are handled in a humane and timely manner, correctly entered into the software system and referred to the vet clinic and/or behavior team, if required.
- All transfer programs are operating efficiently.
- Safe/proper animal handling and restraining techniques are utilized by staff.
- All animal information is documented in database accurately and in a timely manner.
- Growth of the pet retention program.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory, safety, security and operational standards related to animal care including impounding and general care.
- Become familiar with Department of Agriculture rules and regulations as well as local ordinances regarding the transfer, intake and care of shelter animals.
- Act as a principal steward of the organization’s resources. Ensure that all of Wayside Waifs’ resources are utilized properly, legally & ethically, and that all those entrusted to manage or represent the affairs of the organization are properly directed and highly effective.
- Uphold the mission, values, and principles of the organization at all times. Ensure all business endeavors and relationships are consistent with the organization’s mission, values, policies and goals.
- Demonstrated success in a supervisory role.
- Experience managing a multi-person team preferred.
- Program development experience and systems efficiency skills.?
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, good problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with people in a variety of high-stress, and emotional situations.
- Familiarity with general animal sheltering practices, protocols, and trends.
- A passion for the Mission of Wayside Waifs.
- Strong computer skills.
- High school diploma or GED. College degree preferred.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs. to waist-height in order to move animals from kennels, lift food bags, and push and pull a force (i.e. pushing water with a squeegee).
- Repetitive bending, kneeling, stooping and similar movements are also required.
- Must be able to physically restrain dogs weighing up to and including 100lbs.
- Able to work with exposure to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions.
- Significant amount of standing during a typical day, exposure to fumes, animal smells or airborne particles.
- The noise level is moderate to high.
- Will be working with and exposed to a variety of animals and animal waste.
- Previous animal handling experience preferred
The employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high. Will frequently be working with and exposed to a variety of animals.
Benefits: Wayside Waifs offers the following benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Life, Vision and Long Term Disability
- PTO (Vacation and Sick Time)
- Six and a half paid Holidays
To view the entire job description and apply for this position, please visit our website www.waysidewaifs.org.
Just as Wayside Waifs has committed to providing compassionate care for the thousands of homeless animals who enter our shelter each year, we are equally committed to providing a healthy and humane working environment for our employees. Wayside Waifs is an EOE and is looking for diversity in candidates for employment.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999