Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Manager Visitor Experience
1. Position Summary
The Manager, Visitor Experience is responsible for ensuring a comprehensive quality visitor experience evidenced by return visit, increase in average time spent at the Gardens and admission converted to membership. The manager is responsible for all aspects of the visitors’ experience including staffing, amenities, communication and overall satisfaction. Accountable for supervision and operation of the gift shop, snack shop, front desk, gatehouse and trams.
2. Essential Functions
- Manage visitor requests and address issues with appropriate staff members as necessary
- Demonstrate ability to react positively to visitor feedback and to manage conflict effectively.
- Support Education department, ensuring group visits and educational visits are dealt with efficiently.
- Conduct planning necessary for successful events and activities related to the visitor experience
- Ensure the delivery of the Garden’s mission statement, objectives and values.
- Act as a professional role model to staff and colleagues at the Gardens.
- Collect visitor experience data through surveys or other methods.
Leadership and Development
- Manage, motivate and develop the Visitor Services team which ensures customer service and visitor satisfaction is delivered to the highest standards, with a hands-on management style.
- Identify and conduct training and development required of team members
- Develop and deliver the Visitor Services training to all staff
- Ensure staff are informed of daily activities, with access to all current Garden information.
- Ensure all internal signage for events is displayed and correct.
- Monitor staff performance and conduct appraisals, prepare staff reports and manage welfare, discipline and grievance matters.
- Partner with Curator of Exhibitions to develop exhibition specific training.
Safety & Security
- Ensure all Security, Health and Safety incidents are dealt with promptly, and that incident reporting procedures are implemented and monitored.
- Oversee and coordinate emergency procedures for the Garden.
- Monitor cleaning standards in assigned areas.
- Ensure proper staffing of gift shop, snack shop, tram & admissions.
- Ensure staff are proficient in all operating procedures for gift shop, snack shop, and admissions.
- Maintain and update Operations Manual with pertinent details of Light Speed and Altur point of sales software system procedures, cash management, website navigation, etc.
- Manage gift & snack shop to meet budgetary expectations and ensure a profitable operation.
- Track and report admissions, revenue goals and other operations metrics.
- Responsible for daily cash reports from sales and reconciliation of cash drawers.
- Prepare deposits from all POS stations timely and accurately.
- Perform duties as required as part of the special events/festival admissions team.
Data Base and Inventory Management
- Responsible for data base management for designated software.
- Oversees phone system administration.
- Develop buying strategy to provide proper merchandise mix in the gift & snack shop.
- Purchase gift shop, snack shop and other designated event and rental inventory.
- Manage inventory level to achieve revenue targets sales
- Enter, receive & voucher invoices for all incoming merchandise timely & accurately.
- Plan for annual physical inventory and ensure staff is properly trained.
- Coordinate with other departments for transfers of both vending and liquor stock.
- Work to address visitor accessibility issues including transportation throughout the Garden.
- Coordinate with all departments and the Powell Gardens calendar to ensure tram drivers are scheduled appropriately for events and communicate the schedule garden-wide
4. Internal and External Contacts
Internal: All Powell Gardens employees, volunteers
External: Vendors, Visitors, Members
|Education||Bachelors degree preferred but not required in marketing, merchandising, hospitality management or related field.|
|Experience||5 years of customer service management
5 years of sales and/or merchandising
|Knowledge||Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Fiscal and management skills.
Technology proficient: Microsoft Word, Excel, various software applications
Strong organizational and record-keeping skills.
Experience with Altru and Light Speed software systems a plus.
|Communications||Must have the ability to communicate effectively with personnel, guests & outside vendors/organizations in person, via email or over the phone.
Diplomatic and professional
Transparent and factual
|Core Competencies||Action- Oriented and Nimble Learning
Readily takes action on challenges, without unnecessary planning; identifies and seizes new opportunities; displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times; steps up to handle tough issues; learns quickly when facing new situations; experiments to find new solutions; takes on the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; extracts lessons learned from failures and mistakes
Models collaboration across the organization; facilitates an open dialogue with a wide variety of contributors and stakeholders; represents own interests while being fair to others and their interests; credits others for their contributions and accomplishments; promotes high visibility of shared contributions to goals
Moves beyond traditional ways of doing things; pushes past the status quo; continually assesses the market potential of an innovative idea or solution; finds and champions the best creative ideas and actively moves them into implementation; tries multiple varied approaches to innovative ideas; builds excitement in others to explore creative options
Managing Change & Improvement
Measures effectiveness in initiating changes, adapting to necessary changes from old methods when they are no longer practical, identifying new methods and generating improvement in the organizations performance.
Relates comfortably with people across levels, functions, culture, and geography; acts with diplomacy and tact; builds rapport in an open, friendly, and accepting way; builds constructive relationships with people both similar and different to self; picks up on interpersonal and group dynamics
Plans and aligns
Contributes to key results through execution of job duties; makes sound and timely decisions related to job duties; consulting others as appropriate; suggests ways to do the job better
7. Work Environment/Physical Requirements
Hours may vary depending on events/activities at the Garden; schedule is flexible as a result; employee must be willing to work longer hours as projects and deadlines require. Must be available to work as required at events or programs. Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999