Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Assistant Director of Stewardship
Washburn University Alumni Association and Foundation is committed to building a community of support to continuously strengthen Washburn University and enhance the educational opportunities and experiences of our students. We build life-long partnerships with alumni and friends, and secure, invest, and steward private financial support.
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm
Occasional evening and weekend hours
Reporting Relationship: Reports To: Executive Director of Engagement
Supervises: Student Employee
The purpose of the Assistant Director of Stewardship is to support Washburn University Alumni Association and Foundation’s (“Foundation”) overall fundraising efforts through the management, planning, and direction of stewardship communications and donor relations programs. The Assistant Director of Stewardship must establish and nurture effective, collegial working relationships with co-workers, university partners, donors and external contacts representing the Foundation in a positive and professional manner.
The Assistant Director of Stewardship will be responsible for developing and leading comprehensive, integrated stewardship, engagement and donor recognition plans and programs, along with assisting the development team in writing proposal and direct mail pieces. The Assistant Director of Stewardship will be responsible for monitoring and evaluating stewardship programs while striving for continuous improvement.
The Assistant Director of Stewardship will play a significant role in carrying out these stewardship efforts along with promoting the Foundation’s mission through a number of programs and recognition opportunities. They will work closely with the Executive Director of Engagement to support the overall stewardship and recognition plan of the Foundation.
- Collaborate with Executive Director of Development, Executive Director of Development and Alumni Relations – Law School, and Senior Director of Gift Planning and Development on the creation, execution, and continuous improvement of the strategic stewardship plan for donors;
- Manage and execute all aspects of stewardship projects such as holiday cards and gifts, new donor letters, and gifts related to giving societies (Lincoln Society, Whiting Society);
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to steward donors in both Whiting and Lincoln Societies and further engage those donors through personal one-on-one visits;
- Manage and maintain database of university named spaces, art, brick plazas and future naming opportunities, both past and present, in support of overall fundraising efforts including location of spaces and photos of named spaces/objects;
- Coordinate the creation, uniformity, and maintenance of donor plaques and recognition signage for all fundraising projects, programs and fund;
- Manage and implement new donor card, birthday card and birthday email programs for donors, alumni, and friends, evaluating metrics and data to keep the program current and impactful;
- Research story ideas, write, and edit donor impact stories for various alumni publications;
- Writes, edits and maintains acknowledgement letters database for donors;
- Serve as editor of the Bell Tower honor roll publication and other giving publications (print and online versions) – research story ideas, assign and write stories, edit, and print;
- Assign and oversee freelance assignments for donor publications;
- Collaborate with the Development Director, Annual Giving to write fundraising solicitation pieces including direct mail, crowdfunding appeals and email follow ups;
- Supervise Donor Relations student worker(s), ensuring paperwork and payroll are accurately prepared and completed in a timely manner, supervise their activities and job assignments;
- Assist with execution of donor events on an as-needed basis;
- Work on special projects and perform other duties, as assigned; and
- Work collaboratively with the Engagement Team and represent Washburn University Alumni Association and Foundation in a professional and diplomatic manner at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited college/university in communications, marketing, public relations or related discipline;
- Three (3) to five (5) years of professional writing and editing experience preferred; exceptional storytelling and writing ability required
- Knowledge of AP style required
- Experience managing publications and printing processes required
- Project management experience required
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Word and Excel programs, intermediate experience in Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Experience with content managed websites preferred
- Experience with relational database such as Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Outstanding organization and time management skills with attention to detail required;
- Experience in meeting deadlines, juggling multiple responsibilities and initiating and maintaining professional relationships required;
- Significant judgment and effective problem-solving skills required to recognize and deal effectively and appropriately with real and potential problem areas, including skill to determine the issues/problems that need to be brought to the attention of higher level staff and/or management;
- Outstanding time management skills;
- Ability to gather and analyze information and data;
- Must be able to take the initiative to coordinate and manage processes;
- Professional attitude and the ability to maintain confidentiality required;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and as a team member;
- Familiarity with relational databases and scheduling;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed; and
- Reliable and predictable attendance.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time;
- Ability to read computer screens and mail;
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to fifty (50) lbs.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting;
- Interaction with staff and customers.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
To apply, please visit HR Partners at www.hrpartnersks.com and click on "Apply Now!" under the Jobs tab to submit your resume, cover letter and three professional references. Please also email Kristina@hrpartnersks.com three of your writing samples including at least two (2) feature/news stories and one (1) other writing sample such as a letter, informational sheet, direct mail piece, email appeal or speech.
Job Type: Full Time