Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Development Professional, Scholarship Support*
Development Professional, Scholarship Support*
Department: Constituent Development
Supervision: Development Director and Team Lead, Scholarship Support
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: KU Endowment is open to discussing the office location that best meets the needs of both the candidate as well as the organization. Available locations for this position are in Lawrence and Kansas City. In addition, this position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule after initial training and satisfactory job performance.
Who we are and what we’re about:
KU Endowment is an independent, nonprofit organization and the official fundraising foundation for the University of Kansas. We partner with donors in providing philanthropic support to build a greater KU.
As an employee of KU Endowment, you’ll witness firsthand the power of our donors’ generosity. You will join a talented and fun group of people who are inspired to help KU through the support of loyal alumni and friends. This support fuels excellence, enabling students and faculty to develop innovative programs and research that distinguish the university. We connect the philanthropic passions of donors with the needs of students, faculty and programs – and everyone benefits.
People are engaged. Purpose is ignited. Lives are changed.
What we are looking for:
Professional fund-raising position responsible for assisting with the organization, implementation, and direction of a comprehensive development program for raising private gifts to The Kansas University Endowment Association in support of the University of Kansas and general scholarships, including undergraduate and graduate scholarships that are not specific to academic programs or professional schools; scholarship halls facilities and scholarships; diversity scholarships; study abroad scholarships; student loans, and in support of scholarships for an identified subset of academic scholarships.
The individual in this position is expected to embrace KU Endowment’s stated core values – passion for KU, partnership with donors, perpetual support for KU, and a people-centered approach – and demonstrate support for them through professional interactions and activities.
*NOTE: This position will be filled at the level commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
What you’ll be doing:
- Solicits leadership and major gifts in support of the stated needs of general scholarships.
- Assists in programs for prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship for prospective and current leadership and major gift donors to general scholarships and the University of Kansas working with Association officers and professional staff, University administrators and volunteer leaders.
- Assists in the development and implementation of both annual and long-range goals, objectives, and strategies to meet the private support needs of general scholarships consistent with the overall plan of the Association.
- Personally solicits annual gifts at the $1,000 or more level with the goal of increasing the number of gifts and expendable dollar resources for general scholarships.
- Coordinates preparation and development of leadership and major gift proposals to general scholarship prospects for presentation by the University Chancellor, KU administrators, Endowment Association staff, and volunteer leaders.
- Assists with the supervision of the Development Assistant who provides administrative support for this area.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by senior development staff.
- Position requires an extensive amount of time out of the office traveling to meet development goals.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 1 to 3 years of professional experience in higher education fund raising (major gift experience preferred).
- Related experience such as university advancement, business development, and sales may also be considered.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team are essential.
- Must possess the ability to initiate, organize and follow through with fundraising strategies.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and exercise excellent judgment.
At KU Endowment, we recognize that we best achieve our mission of building a greater University of Kansas by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion. We are committed to cultivating a people-centered environment that is welcoming to the spectrum of differences among us in an atmosphere of respect and fairness. Accordingly, our staff, Board of Trustees, volunteers and donors will work together to create a more representative, equitable and inclusive KU Endowment.
We’ve got you covered:
KU Endowment offers a competitive salary with an excellent benefit package including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) and Roth 401(k) matching program
- Pension plan
- Section 125 flexible benefits
- Generous paid leave including holidays, personal and sick leave
- Volunteer and community engagement opportunities
- Paid Parental Leave
- Life, AD&D, short- and long-term disability insurance
- LegalShield & IDShield protection
- KU tuition reimbursement
- Free parking
Please include your resume and cover letter when applying for the position.
Questions regarding this vacancy may be addressed to:
Susan Kang, J.D.
Sr. Director, Development Recruitment
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Lead
PO Box 928
Lawrence, KS 66044-0928
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Because of the sensitive nature of KU Endowment business and the importance of our reputation with donors, KU Endowment conducts a comprehensive review of applicants. By submitting your application, you authorize us to conduct reference checks and a review of available public information. Employment is contingent upon background and reference checks that KU Endowment finds acceptable.
Job Type: Full Time