Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Development Professional, School of Law*
Development Professional, School of Law*
Department: Constituent Development
Supervision: Assistant Vice President, Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: KU Endowment is open to discussing the office location that best meets the needs of both the candidate as well as the organization. Available locations for this position are in Lawrence and Kansas City. In addition, this position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule after initial training and satisfactory job performance.
Who we are and what we’re about:
KU Endowment is an independent, nonprofit organization and the official fundraising foundation for the University of Kansas. We partner with donors in providing philanthropic support to build a greater KU.
As an employee of KU Endowment, you’ll witness firsthand the power of our donors’ generosity. You will join a talented and fun group of people who are inspired to help KU through the support of loyal alumni and friends. This support fuels excellence, enabling students and faculty to develop innovative programs and research that distinguish the university. We connect the philanthropic passions of donors with the needs of students, faculty and programs – and everyone benefits.
People are engaged. Purpose is ignited. Lives are changed.
What we are looking for:
Full-time professional fundraising position responsible for raising major gifts to KU Endowment for the benefit of the School of Law and various other University programs. This person will establish and foster collaborative working relationships with constituent development and other Endowment colleagues, volunteers, donors, University personnel and others, as appropriate, to achieve fundraising objectives.
KU Endowment is the oldest foundation at an American public university. This tradition provides our team with 131 years of fundraising excellence and a foundation upon which successful careers are built. The KU School of Law was established in 1878 and has granted more than 11,000 law degrees. In 2021, KU Law was ranked 16th in the country for scholarly impact in public law schools.
The individual in this position is expected to embrace KU Endowment’s stated core values – passion for KU, partnership with donors, perpetual support for KU, and a people-centered approach – and demonstrate support for them through professional interactions and activities.
*Note: This position will be filled at the level commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
What you’ll be doing:
- With guidance from the Assistant VP for Development, identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards prospective and current major gift donors by developing and managing an appropriately staged and sized portfolio of major gift prospects and donors.
- Solicits both outright and planned major gifts in support of the School of Law and other University programs.
- Solicits leadership annual gifts ($1,000 or more) with the goal of increasing annual support for the School of Law and other University programs.
- Position requires an extensive amount of time out of the office traveling to meet development goals.
- Supervises the shared Development Assistant who provides administrative support for this constituency.
- Performs other duties as assigned from time to time by executive staff.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 2 years’ experience in professional fundraising experience is preferred.
- One to three years of professional major gift fundraising experience in higher education a plus.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team are essential.
- Law degree preferred.
- Must possess the ability to independently initiate, organize and follow through with fundraising strategies.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must possess the ability to work with minimal supervision and exercise excellent judgment.
At KU Endowment, we recognize that we best achieve our mission of building a greater University of Kansas by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion. We are committed to cultivating a people-centered environment that is welcoming to the spectrum of differences among us in an atmosphere of respect and fairness. Accordingly, our staff, Board of Trustees, volunteers and donors will work together to create a more representative, equitable and inclusive KU Endowment.
We’ve got you covered:
KU Endowment offers a competitive salary with an excellent benefit package including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) and Roth 401(k) matching program
- Pension plan
- Section 125 flexible benefits
- Generous paid leave including holidays, personal and sick leave
- Volunteer and community engagement opportunities
- Paid Parental Leave
- Life, AD&D, short- and long-term disability insurance
- LegalShield & IDShield protection
- KU tuition reimbursement
- Free parking
Please include your resume and cover letter when applying for the position.
Questions regarding this vacancy may be addressed to:
Susan Kang, J.D.
Sr. Director, Development Recruitment
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Lead
PO Box 928
Lawrence, KS 66044-0928
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Because of the sensitive nature of KU Endowment business and the importance of our reputation with donors, KU Endowment conducts a comprehensive review of applicants. By submitting your application, you authorize us to conduct reference checks and a review of available public information. Employment is contingent upon background and reference checks that KU Endowment finds acceptable.
Job Type: Full Time