Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Development
Organization: For 51 years, Swope Health Services (SHS), a 501c3 nonprofit organization, has provided comprehensive primary care medical, dental, behavioral health and enabling services to the Kansas City metropolitan area’s low-income residents. SHS operates seven full-time clinics, two part-time clinics, a mobile medical unit, and four of the primary care clinics have permanent dental clinics within them. SHS has an annual operating budget of $60,000,000, $40,00,000 in assets and over 500 staff members.
SHS is a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) under the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Bureau of Primary Health Care. SHS is the largest FQHC in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. SHS Behavioral Health Services is also a Certified Community Behavioral Health Organization under the Missouri Department of Mental Health and delivers a wide range of therapeutic and treatment services to persons of all ages, including community psychiatric rehabilitation day programs for adults and children. The dual designation as an FQHC and Certified Community Behavioral Health Organization is a unique distinction among its national counterparts. Accredited by the Joint Commission, the SHS seven fulltime clinics have achieved Patient Centered Medical Home recognition and Behavioral Health is additionally accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Rehabilitation Facilities. In 2019, SHS delivered services to approximately 44,000 patients throughout the bi-state metropolitan area.
Position Summary: SHS is in need of a talented and enthusiastic Director of Development who can build a fundraising department from the ground up. Currently, a small team dedicated primarily to marketing activities (including a contracted grant writer) is managing SHS’s limited development activities. In order for SHS to continue to fulfill and sustain the mission, a Director of Development is needed to establish, lead and oversee a robust fundraising and development operation for SHS. The position will work closely with the CEO and Board of Directors, while providing a high level of leadership and guidance to development staff. This will be a critical hire for SHS, as the Director of Development will be responsible for sustaining the existing funding structure for the health system as well as advancing development efforts. The CEO and Board of Directors welcome fresh ideas from compassionate, forward-thinking leaders striving to improve access to quality health care for vulnerable populations.
Responsibilities: The Director of Development will report directly to and collaborate closely with the Chief Executive Officer of SHS. It is understood that the following list of position responsibilities is not intended in any way to restrict the work of this office, but rather, sets forth specific guidelines which are to be followed in a prompt and efficient manner:
- Oversee annual fundraising, capital gifts, planned giving campaigns, corporate giving, and grants/funding from private foundations and public sources
- Cooperate with and assist the CEO in advancing the mission of SHS through the coordination of all development activities
- Remain personally active in the pursuit of major and planned gifts, maintaining a portfolio of 150+ high-end donors and prospects
- Maintain a working knowledge of SHS policies and procedures specifically related to his/her area of responsibility
- Identify and coordinate appropriate opportunities to utilize the strengths of the CEO in his participation in the cultivation and solicitation of high-end donors and prospects
- Prepare a Strategic Development Plan and department budget prior to the beginning of each fiscal year showing goals, action steps and outcome measures for each fundraising discipline and individual for the ensuing year
- Establish realistic, inspiring and challenging development goals and objectives with staff and present to the CEO to review and reach agreement on proposed development goals and objectives; provide regular updates on results
- Hire, train and support development staff and monitor accountabilities for results and outcomes of all development initiatives
- Effectively and efficiently administer the affairs of the department, especially to the creation and monitoring of the budget to ensure compliance with SHS standards, policies and expectations
- Collaborate with the Database Administrator to ensure all information is current and relevant
- Oversee the development of all direct mail appeals, closely evaluating the productivity and efficiency of mail service vendors to ensure generation of an acceptable return on investment
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications to ensure all SHS promotional materials are current and appropriate for use in advancing fundraising initiatives of all types
- Direct the oversight and development of all aspects of capital campaigns to include assessing needs, strategic planning and participation of volunteers and appropriate staff
- Serve as a member of the SHS executive management team and maintain an effective liaison with SHS personnel to promote clear understanding of development programs and responsibilities
Job Type: Full Time