Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Development
VCP PROVIDES EXCELLENT BENEFITS!!
- Employees pay $0 out-of-pocket towards health, vision and dental premiums
- VCP offers a 401k plan at a 3.5% match
- Employees receive 6 weeks of paid time off in addition to major holidays
Veterans Community Project (VCP) Overview
Founded in 2016 in Kansas City, MO, VCP is dedicated to supporting every man and woman who took the oath to defend our nation. The greatest barrier to ending Veteran homelessness is the revolving door of unstable housing and the frustrating maze Veterans must navigate in order to get basic support. We believe that to be an effective program, the first step is to connect Veterans and the community. VCP created an innovative homeless housing program and outreach assistance that provides inclusive services to aid Veterans in re-claiming control over their lives. For more information, visit www.vcp.org.
We, the team members and co-founders of VCP, are connectors, feelers, and doers on a mission to help our kin, our kind. We move with swift, bold action, driven by our mission. We believe in collaboration, community, compassion, and above all, serving Veterans with dignity and respect.
The Director of Development serves as a member of the local leadership team and is the leader of local development efforts. Under the direction of the local Executive Director and in strong collaboration with the National Development Director, she/he initiates and implements development strategies, planning, and activities that result in a compelling, donor-centered development program which invites our community-at-large to have a lasting relationship with VCP to achieve our goals.
She/he will serve as a major gift officer, managing and cultivating relationships with existing major gift prospects, as well as identifying new prospects; interact with individuals and senior members of corporations/foundations; ensure local fundraising goals are met; work in direct collaboration with local fundraising consultant and leadership team; may serve as a liaison with other organizations’ staff when VCP is involved in joint ventures; supervise the development staff to include recommending staff hires, discipline, performance management, and day-to-day supervision of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• With the Executive Director & National Development Director develop and implement an integrated development program using a variety of cultivation, solicitation and stewardship techniques including making personal visits, and phone calls, sending appeals, events and gatherings, online campaigns, and networking. Includes helping unleash the giving potential of a wide array of funders and stakeholders and ensure that annual fundraising goals are met.
• Manage the local day-to-day development operations including prospect identification and research; cultivation and communications strategies; proposal development; writing, submission, and tracking of grants; solicitation strategies; donor stewardship, donor-centered communication, and outreach activities; and community engagement/volunteer relations.
• Provide leadership in research, qualification, and cultivation of prospective donors. Determine readiness of donors to progress toward giving and deeper engagement with VCP.
• Plan, coordinate, prepare materials, and participate in meetings to cultivate and solicit prospective donors and community partners; research new sponsorship options using appropriate cultivation activities.
• Together with National Development Director, Dir. of Communications, and the Donor Relations & Data Analyst, ensure a meaningful donor stewardship plan is in place and implemented to achieve maximum donor loyalty and develop marketing strategies to promote the VCP image.
• Participate in annual budget preparation, including making revenue projections and goal setting.
• Foster relationships with other VCP departments and development team members in other cities to build a cooperative and effective program that promotes a culture of philanthropy.
Competencies and Areas of Expertise may Include:
· Passion for the mission of VCP.
· Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, non-profit management, or a related field or equivalent educational experience.
· Seven – ten years progressively responsible related experience; or any combination of education, training and experience, that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Work experience preferably in non-profit environment.
· Advanced understanding of the principles of fundraising; current issues and trends in fundraising; corporate social responsibility; marketing; fiscal management; and volunteer management.
· Experience in grant writing as well as major giving (individual and corporate), portfolio/moves management.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills with emphasis on building relationships and asking for gifts.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to develop and deliver compelling arguments regarding the value proposition of VCP. Experience in donor-centric communication preferred.
· Knowledge of a non-profit donor CRM is required (ie: Raiser’s Edge, NEON, Virtuous, etc.)
· Advanced knowledge of technical computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and social networking, including ability to utilize technology for research.
· Self-motivated to set, attain and surpass goals, with minimal supervision.
· Ability to assess own skills and abilities and identify areas for improvement; willingly accepts constructive feedback; seeks developmental opportunities; sets and achieves goals; works independently.
· Flexibility is a key attribute for this position. VCP is a fast-paced environment. A willingness to take on additional duties, or change course, to ensure the success of the organization is essential.
· Must have organizational skills and attention to detail. Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner.
· Strong performance management and evaluation capabilities are required including the willingness and ability to ensure accountability. Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
To apply, please visit: https://veterans-community-project.prismhr-hire.com/job/670934/director-of-development
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description. Any essential function or requirement of this job will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent or applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation(s) for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent or applicant when possible.
Veterans Community Project is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. All VCP employees, other workers and representatives are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999