Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Development for Athletics
Director of Development for Athletics
Kansas City Athletics & UMKC Foundation
Purpose: The Director of Athletics Development will serve as a major gift officer for Kansas City Athletics.
Organizational Relationship: The Director of Athletics Development has a primary reporting relationship with the Senior Managing Director of Development and a secondary reporting relationship with the Director of Athletics.
• Prepare and implement strategies to attain development goals and objectives.
• Develop strong relationships with key constituents to increase major gifts for Kansas City Athletics.
• Manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors with capacity to give $10,000 or more.
• Meet or exceed annual performance goals, including substantive interactions with current and prospective donors, gift proposals, and net production income.
• Effectively employ the Senior Managing Director of Development, Director of Athletics, Deputy Directors of Athletics, and other appropriate staff and leadership volunteers as a partner in strategy development, donor cultivation, and solicitation.
• Work with prospect research staff to evaluate and prioritize donor prospects.
• Ensure the communications and marketing efforts of Kansas City Athletics are coordinated with development and alumni efforts.
• Work as part of a supportive team of advancement and fundraising professionals.
• Collaborate with UMKC Foundation leadership and advancement colleagues to ensure operational needs are met.
• Creative and strategically minded
• High degree of personal integrity, discretion, and confidentiality
• Ability to value and utilize data analytics in decisions
• Demonstrated ability to manage interpersonal relationships
• Excellent communication skills, articulate speaker, and skilled writer
• Ability to meet goals and objectives
• Effective organizational and marketing skills
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Familiarity with database computer systems, including CRM databases, Microsoft Office, and other desktop applications
Education and Experience: A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of four years of successful development experience with a strong preference for experience in athletics development or a similar role in intercollegiate athletics.
• Major gifts moves management, annual and planned giving, as well as corporate and foundation fundraising.
• Administrative principles and practices, including goalsetting, program development, implementation and evaluation.
• Rules, regulations, and procedures related to development and intercollegiate athletic activities.
• Proposal and grant writing techniques and strategies
Incumbent must have a high level of independence in accomplishing the responsibilities of the position. Goals, priorities, and major projects are reviewed and discussed on an on-going basis with the Senior Managing Director of Development and Kansas City Athletics leadership.
Guidelines are provided by the goals and objectives of the position, by fundraising strategies and techniques, by stewardship guidelines, and by the goals of the UMKC Foundation and the mission of the University. Confidentiality and discretion are mandatory.
This position does not require unusual physical ability. Little physical exertion is involved, although considerable pressures exist; the ability to handle tension and stress in a positive manner is required. No risks or discomforts are imposed upon this position by the physical surroundings or job situation. Occasional travel, as well as evening/weekend work, are required. A valid driver’s license is required.
Salary Hiring Range: $70, 000 to $80,000
UMKC: The University of Missouri Kansas City is located in the heart of Kansas City, one mile from the famed KC Plaza District. Kansas City is home to the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts, KC Chiefs, KC Royals, Sporting KC, and is home to world renowned BBQ. Rich in diversity, culture, and sports, UMKC is a traditional university with a host of professional schools located in a robust urban setting.
About the UMKC Foundation: The UMKC Foundation is a separate but affiliated enterprise that is devoted to raising funds for the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and for exercising fiduciary responsibility over endowments and other philanthropic investments made to UMKC. If interested, please use link below to apply.
Kansas City Athletics: The Kansas City Roos are Kansas City’s only Division 1 University boasting fourteen sports and more than 250 student-athletes. With 30 plus conference championships and four Olympians, our student-athletes are not only successful on the playing field, but they are also leaders in the classroom with a cumulative GPA of 3.42 and provide more than 2,000 hours of community service.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The UMKC Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations, or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
Know Your Rights
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
Know Your Rights English Version
Know Your Rights Spanish Version
UMKC Foundation Statement on Diversity
We value the uniqueness of every individual and strive to ensure each person’s success. Contributions from individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives promote intellectual pluralism and enable us to achieve the excellence that we seek in learning, research and engagement. This commitment makes our university a better place to work, learn and innovate.
In your application materials, please discuss your experiences and expertise that support these values and enrich our missions of teaching, research and engagement.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $75,000 - 99,999