Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Development - Literacy KC
Literacy KC’s mission is to advance literacy among Kansas City area adults through direct service, advocacy and collaboration. Our vision is "literacy for all." Literacy KC offers adults and their families a welcoming community to develop and enhance literacy skills and quality of life.
We take a community literacy approach to teaching adult students. Through an innovative social learning model, lead instructors are supported by a team of tutors in each dynamic classroom. This fulltime position is a busy workweek and may require some night and weekend work.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development (DD) serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Literacy KC. In partnership with the ED, this position should approach fundraising in a sustainable, creative, and enterprising way. The DD is responsible for all fundraising and development activities and will help forge new relationships to build Literacy KC’s visibility, impact, and financial resources.
The DD will support the design and implementation of a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support. The DD will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $1,500,000 budget through the solicitation of major gifts, securing federal and state grants, securing special events sponsorship, and cultivating corporate and foundation support.
The DD will expand and diversify Literacy KC's donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the DD will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by Literacy KC will increase in future years as the DD systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
- Annual planning: Work alongside the ED to establish both annual and multi-year fundraising goals
- Strategy development: Lead the development team to create the annual fundraising plan to reach financial goals, including long-term goals and multiple short-term projects with clear timelines, responsibilities and accountabilities.
- Relationship cultivation and management: Grow and maintain a portfolio of donor relationships consistent with the overall development strategy; coordinate with other team members to ensure effective engagement with donors and stakeholders.
- Assess results and drive growth: Create metrics for success across all fundraising activities, using results to adapt strategy throughout the year. Proactively review metrics as well as feedback from stakeholders to determine what is working and what can be improved for all initiatives, including events, campaigns, and products.
- Individual cultivation: Develop and implement an individual donor stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with supporters, aimed at growing the middle and major gifts program
- Planned giving: Make solicitations and complete the fundraising cycle by working with donor and donor advisors to secure completed formal agreements, e.g., charitable remainder trusts, charitable gifts annuities, bequests, endowments, major gifts or pledges, etc.
- New initiatives: Take a creative approach to meeting development benchmarks through growing alternative techniques, ie. Third-party fundraisers
- Grants strategy: Have primary oversight for development and execution of all proposals and proposal report deadlines; archive and track all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Trends: Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Literacy KC ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Reporting: Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders; Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Communications: Work with the Marketing/Communications team to execute superior donor communications and donor discipline strategy
- Teamwork: Create and promote a positive work environment through teamwork mentality and creative problem solving
- Other duties as assigned as related to development strategy
- 5-7-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal skills with unwavering customer focus
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Literacy KC
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
- High energy and passion for Literacy KC’s mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999