Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director Of External Affairs & Communications
The American Jazz Museum in Kansas City is dedicated to celebrating and exhibiting the experience of jazz as an original American art form through performance, education, exhibition, and research at one of the country’s jazz crossroads – 18th & Vine.
About the Position
The American Jazz Museum’s Director of External Affairs & Communications will create a milestone designated strategy and implementation of long-term and immediate operational and fundraising goals aligned with the AJM’s mission and strategic priorities. Responsibilities also include but are not limited to procuring higher levels of support from individual donors, annual giving, major and planned giving and capital campaigns; maximizing support from existing and potential grantors; laying the groundwork for the cultivation of new foundation and government prospects; maintaining an organized and detailed programmatic grants calendar to ensure ongoing, systematic processes to meet funding objectives.
The workweek will be Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with occasional nights and weekends as needed. (Donor event times vary. Local knowledge of donor priorities and community preferred.) The individual hired must be Bondable.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following duties are normal for this position.
- Evaluate constituent data to provide comprehensive reports on advancement initiatives including broad-based appeals, donor retention efforts, solicitation effectiveness, and other strategic benchmarks
- Work alongside Executive Director to build programmatic budgets that meet the criteria of current and future foundational partnership requirements.
- Manage direct reports including Senior Content Developer and External Affairs Strategist and Digital Communications and Marketing Associate
- Liaise across departments to ensure proper understanding and documentation of programs.
- Work with departmental team members to research and identify competitive funding opportunities for new programmatic and operational programs.
- Attend Senior Staff meetings and disseminate information to staff as directed and ensure that information is communicated to the rest of the External Affairs staff.
- Develop, plan, and manage fundraising and cultivation events. Assess and strengthen their effectiveness.
- Ensure dynamic processes in all phases of donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Serve as a staff liaison for Finance /IT & Board Development Committee
- Oversee responsibility for development, expansion, and protection of brand initiatives to improve visibility, and reputation.
- In concert with the Executive Director, serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Build integrated communications, public relations strategies based on the organization’s strategic plan, goals, objectives and target market segments.
- Oversee building of AJM’s brand equity and image through social media, public relations, advertising, promotion, sponsorship's, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications.
- Contribute to budget development and monitoring with the Finance Department.
- Other duties indicated as priorities from the Executive Director.
- Undergrad degree required in related field; masters degree preferred or comparable years of service in industry.
- Proficient in MS Office
- Expert knowledge of office management systems and procedures Required Skills and Competencies
- Strong Organizational and Planning Skills.
- Strong Interpersonal Skills, initiative, creativity, leadership
- Strong Oral Communication Skills
- Strong Writing and Spelling Skills
- Strong Time Management Skills
- Strong Decision Making.
- Must have strong work ethics
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, research and resolution skills, and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact with all associates and others in a professional manner
This position will oversee and manage the entire External Affairs and Communications department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds.
No or Limited travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision and telephonic EAP services (90% of the employee premium is paid by the American Jazz Museum)
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Equal Employment Opportunity
To give equal employment and advancement opportunities to all people, we make employment decisions at the American Jazz Museum on each person's performance, qualifications, and abilities. The American Jazz Museum does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics/information, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related individual conditions, medical condition (as defined by state law), military status, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law (referred to as "protected classes’ or “protected status").
This Equal Employment Opportunity Policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all-American Jazz Museum facilities, participation in all American Jazz Museum sponsored activities, and all employment actions and practices including selection, job assignments, promotions, compensation, discipline, termination of employment and access to benefits and training.We will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless making the reasonable accommodation would result in an undue hardship for the American Jazz Museum.Employment At-Will
The American Jazz Museum is an at-will employer.
Job Type: Full Time