Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Strategic Partnerships
BioNexus KC is searching for a collaborative leader with significant fundraising and development experience to help advance the strategic life sciences and healthcare priorities for the Kansas City region.
Nature and Scope:
BioNexus KC is a 20+ year old nonprofit that was created to act as the region’s life science intermediary, convening research organizations and companies to build the region’s research base, maximize the value of the research happening in the region, and accelerate the translation of research to products, services, and companies. Significant opportunities lie ahead for the KC region and BioNexus KC stands poised to help the region capitalize on these opportunities. However, realizing these opportunities will require significantly expanded development and fundraising efforts and, as such, BioNexus KC is consequently formalizing its development department. It now seeks a highly qualified professional to serve as its Director of Strategic Partnerships, a new position reporting to the President & CEO, but integrating closely with the entire BioNexus KC team and Board of Directors.
The Director of Strategic Partnerships will be responsible for creating and executing a successful overall strategy for BioNexus KC development/fundraising, sponsorships, partnerships, and relationships, including comprehensive efforts to identify, cultivate, establish, and maintain relationships with current and prospective individual and institutional partners, donors, sponsors, and grantors. In seeking support for the region’s transformational goals, the Director of Strategic Partnerships will supervise advancement efforts directed to, among others, stakeholders, major donors, annual fund contributors, corporations, foundations, sponsors, granting agencies, and others.
- General accountabilities in addition to those described in the Nature and Scope section above:
- Absorb, understand, and commit to the BioNexus KC Path to 2025 strategic plan, which highlights the central role of BioNexus KC in the region’s development as a global leader at the nexus of human and animal health benefiting all our citizens and the economy.
- Develop, test, and revise as necessary, a comprehensive development and fundraising plan that advances the goals of the BioNexus KC strategic plan.
- Develop, test, and implement a comprehensive approach to attract and renew stakeholders, sponsors, and grantors.
- Research prospective stakeholders, partners, and grantors, and develop and implement methods to approach them for support of the programs and activities of BioNexus KC.
- Establish, nurture, maintain, and grow relationships with current stakeholders, partners, grantors, and sponsors.
- Prepare and submit inquiries and proposals to prospective stakeholders, partners, grantors, and sponsors.
- Plan and implement events for current and potential funders and sponsors as part of the development plan, and work to integrate this effort into the programmatic lineup of BioNexus KC.
- Collaborate with the Events team to leverage its efforts to attract support from current, new, and potential partners and supporters.
- Collaborate with the Marketing & Communications team to create fundraising materials and solicitations.
- Develop and apply metrics for organizational fundraising and align strategies to meet the goals of BioNexus KC.
- Contribute to the success of BioNexus KC and stakeholder institutions by presenting and promoting strategic research approaches/capabilities and major programmatic objectives to the scientific and technical community, private donors, industry, government agencies, and the lay public.
- Work with strategic partners to leverage BioNexus KC’s assets and capabilities in collaborative, multi-organizational approaches to regional life sciences initiatives.
- Participate in regional consensus-building efforts among multiple, diverse stakeholders and act as a responsible representative of BioNexus KC with stakeholders, partners, and the community at large.
- Specific unique accountabilities:
- Collaborate with the BioNexus KC President and Vice President in assessing organizational needs and priorities and prepare relevant projections and budgets. Work closely with the BioNexus KC President and Vice President for engagement on all aspects of development.
- Work closely with the entire BioNexus KC team to ensure a comprehensive approach to fundraising and development that is integrated in all BioNexus KC activities.
- Track BioNexus KC activities, including programs, initiatives, and future priorities. Understand the allocation of resources and coordinate efforts of all team members. Prioritize multiple tasks effectively. Proactively initiate, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, and follow through with commitments and foster mutual trust with stakeholders. Effectively communicate relevant project information, including well-organized presentations, as needed.
- Monitor federal grant opportunities for regional initiatives, assemble appropriate stakeholders and partners, and manage grant submissions
- Work with stakeholders and strategic partners to identify appropriate opportunities to connect entrepreneurs, scientists, and inventors to technology transfer and commercialization assets in the region
- Unique professional experience coupled with a bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree is preferable but not required. Demonstrated leadership experience in a nonprofit organization.
- At least five years of development experience in a cultural, educational, or other not-for-profit organization
- At least two years of development experience at a director’s level, in development, fundraising, major gifts, or institutional (corporate and foundation) giving.
- A record of progressively successful fundraising, as measured by growth in funds raised and increased number of donors year over year.
- Education, knowledge, experience, or passion for science and technology is desirable.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely, with a record of successful proposal writing. Federal grant writing experience is a strong plus. Excellent oral communications skills, with capacity to engage current and potential donors
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills, including the ability to tell compelling stories, deliver persuasive presentations, clearly communicate scientific discoveries/results, and comfortably engage all levels of the BioNexus KC community (individual researcher to C-suite).
- Familiarity with deploying social media to support development strategies and familiarity with state-of-the-art CRMs.
- Networking ability, including the capacity to leverage connections and contacts of BioNexus KC Stakeholders, Partners, Board of Directors, and other supporters to increase support base.
- Experience in building supportive constituencies through ongoing community outreach, and creating and maintaining relationships with other organizations
- Working knowledge of the life sciences and healthcare ecosystems in the KC region is a strong plus.
- Convey a professional image that reflects favorably on BioNexus KC.
- Strong strategic planning, organizational, and implementation skills
If interested, please forward cover letter/statement of interest, CV/resume, references, and any other relevant materials to BioNexus KC at email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time