Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Donor Database Specialist
The Land Institute co-leads the global movement for perennial, diverse, regenerative grain agriculture at a scale that matches the enormity of the intertwined climate, water, and food security crises. An independent 501c3 non-profit founded in 1976, the organization seeks to reconcile the human economy with nature's economy, starting with food. The transdisciplinary team of scientists, together with global partners, are developing new perennial grain crops, like Kernza©, and diverse cropping systems that function within nature's limits while researching the social transformation required for a just, perennial human future.
How You’d Fit In + Stand Out
The Donor Database Specialist plays a critical role in our fundraising team by ensuring the accuracy, integrity, and accessibility of our donor data—the foundation of our growth trajectory as an organization in a scaling phase. This position manages and operationalizes our donor database, analyzes donor information, and curates actionable insights to inform a successful fundraising strategy. This person will collaborate within the fundraising team to maximize donor engagement, support our collective mission with agility, and offer insight into emerging patterns and trends from donor profiles. The Donor Database Specialist position is responsible for concrete functionality such as gift entry, yet it is also dynamic and open to growth, creativity, and input into strategy-alignment ideas. This role is internally facing and has a tremendous impact on the organization and The Land Institute's work to co-lead the global movement for perennial, diverse, truly regenerative agriculture at scale.
Primary Responsibilities + Expectations
- Maintain and update the donor database daily to ensure accurate and up-to-date donor records.
- Import and export donor data as needed while ensuring data security and privacy compliance.
- Develop and implement data entry and quality control procedures.
- Act as the liaison in our Blackbaud (Raiser’s Edge) vendor relationship, providing expertise in technical problem solving, contract suggestions, etc.
- Analyze donor data to identify trends, donor behavior, and opportunities for fundraising growth.
- Prepare reports and dashboards to track fundraising progress and provide insights to the fundraising team.
- Segment donor lists for targeted fundraising campaigns and initiatives.
- Prepare annual reports required for annual audit and 990 filings.
- Manage the daily processing of donations, ensuring timely and accurate acknowledgment of contributions.
- Reconcile financial records with the database to maintain data accuracy.
- Work closely as part of the fundraising team to align data analysis with fundraising strategies.
- Collaborate with cross-organization colleagues to support donor engagement and retention efforts.
- Ensure accurate and timely reports to our accounting department to ensure successful audits.
- Mission Driven: You are passionate about the mission of The Land Institute and are interested in aligning your skills and personal genius to benefit the mission.
- Courageous: You do not retreat or shy away from hard things. You face challenges and conflict with professionalism, grace, and resolve.
- A Boundary Spanner: You bring an interdisciplinary skill set and model self-awareness in your preferences. You are always motivated to learn, and you adapt to span boundaries with people across a range of perspectives.
- Inspiring and Inspired: You are inspired by the people around you—finding and harnessing the genius in your colleagues to meet the organizational objectives—and you inspire others through example and your applied genius.
- Growth Mindset: You have the vulnerability to know what you don’t know, identify and learn from mistakes, and learn from others to grow and develop yourself and the organization.
- A Creative Collaborator: You believe in the power of a diverse collective to generate ideas and solutions. You excel at strategic thinking, being open to new perspectives, and managing innovation. You bring a playful, positive approach to the work and enjoy meeting new people and deepening connections with those you already know.
- Excited by Change: You embrace nascent and evolving situations and enjoy engaging new people, ideas, and possibilities. You think about change holistically: internal, external, organizational, and cultural. You like iterating systems, building efficiency, and operationalizing design. You are willing to jump in and contribute to new projects as needed.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Proficiency in donor database management software (e.g., Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge), with a strong understanding of data structure and optimal operations.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize software and web-based applications (e.g., Microsoft, Google),
- Experience in data analysis and reporting, including data visualization tools.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in data management.
- Knowledge of data privacy regulations and best practices.
- Advanced proficiency in data analysis tools (e.g., Excel, Tableau).
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience working in a nonprofit or fundraising environment.
- Familiarity with fundraising software and CRM systems.
- Knowledge of fundraising trends and best practices.
- Demonstrated agility in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Travel will not be required in this position
Compensation + Benefits:
The Land Institute offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
The salary range for this position is $45,000 to $55,000.
- Paid parental leave
- Competitive, equitable compensation
- 403(b) Retirement
- 403(b) Employer contributions
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Employer-Provided Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care
- Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Accidental Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid holidays
- Generous PTO
The Land Institute is an equal opportunity employer and embraces the opportunity to provide employment to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information. We are pleased to provide reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999