Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Community Education & Outreach
Exempt position reporting to: VP, Donor Relations, Communications & Education
Annual salary: $65,000 - $70,000
Wayside Waifs is Kansas City's largest and most comprehensive no kill pet adoption campus. Since 1944, we have been working diligently to partner pets and community for life. Wayside Waifs strives to enrich the lives of abandoned, abused and homeless animals until they find a new family home. We care for more than 5,000 animals every year. Wayside is a private, independent, nonprofit 501 (c)(3) charity with no government funding. We depend on the generosity of the community to continue our life-saving work. Our Mission is preparing pets and people for the bond of their lives. Wayside Waifs is currently seeking to fill the posiiton of Director of Community Education & Outreach. The position summary is as follows:
The Director of Community Education & Outreach is a newly established role in response to Wayside Waifs’ 2023-2027 Strategic Plan. This role is responsible for the development, implementation, and management of Wayside’s education and outreach programs that serve both pets and people.
- Set the direction and oversee the well-established Education Program and the growing Outreach Program at Wayside.
- Create, implement, and oversee high-impact education and outreach services and programs that work to meet the changing needs of the community. The Education Program includes national and local programming and the Outreach Program includes local and regional programming.
- Research and assess community needs, priorities, feasibility, and opportunities.
- Develop, implement, and manage education and outreach efforts and programs that engage various Wayside staff, volunteers, and departments.
- Develop and implement methods for collecting and sharing information about education and outreach work, including impact metrics, stories of successes and challenges, and donor/grant reporting needs.
- Establish and maintain systems for program evaluation, identification, research, and strategy.
- Establish and maintain relationships with youth-serving organizations, animal welfare/control organizations, social service organizations, civic leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Represent Wayside Waifs as a liaison for community-wide and collaborative endeavors that focus on education and/or outreach. Support and facilitate community partnerships that serve the community in priority areas.
- Manage, coach, and develop the Education Manager and the Community Outreach Manager (direct reports), in addition to providing management support for the 7-person department. Provide effective communication, leadership, guidance, and resources to ensure team can be successful and meet individual and departmental goals. Recruit, hire, mentor, and evaluate department staff.
- Stay informed and up-to-date with industry trends in education, outreach programs, and animal welfare to keep Wayside at the leading edge of innovation. Share knowledge internally and externally appropriately.
- Endorse and support the use of volunteers in all avenues of work being performed.
- Create, collaborate on, and participate in advocacy work that meet’s Wayside’s strategic goals.
- Promote Wayside’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Required Experience and Skills
- 5 years of experience, preferably in the non-profit environment, with increasing management duties and experience.
- Able to set vision, priorities, take initiative, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience growing and managing a national program.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, coaching, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with community groups/organizations to meet needs. A preferred knowledge/understanding and experience working with low-income communities.
- Ability to proactively problem solve and find creative solutions.
- Strategic thinker.
- Excellent customer service skills, with high levels of compassion and empathy.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
- Animal welfare experience preferred.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Required Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in social or nonprofit management, or a related field of study.
Wayside Waifs offers the following benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Life, Vision and Long Term Disability
- PTO (Vacation and Sick Time)
- Six and a half paid Holidays
-Three Floating Flex Days
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999