Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Education
POSITION: Director of Education
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
JOB TYPE: Exempt position, minimum 40 hours/week (salaried)
SALARY RANGE: $48,000 - $55,000
POSITION SUMMARY: For more than 40 years, The Coterie has provided professional classic and contemporary theatre which challenges audience and artist, as well as educational, dramatic outreach programs in the community. We are in search of a Director of Education to join our team of dedicated and talented artists and non-profit professionals. We seek to open lines of communication between races, genders, and generations by redefining children’s theatre to include families and diverse audiences. This individual, working closely with the Managing Director, will manage a team of two and will help to lead all aspects of Coterie education and outreach programming. The ideal candidate is exceptionally organized, highly collaborative, has strong and persuasive written and oral communication skills, and has an experienced theatre education background. In addition, the person in this position will support and uplift The Coterie’s mission and values and will demonstrate a commitment to the principles of our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Justice work.
The primary responsibility is to ensure high-quality education experiences for school field trips, in-school experiences, and education programming. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Create and sustain partnerships with class locations
- Create resources for schools and families that extend the experience of attending mainstage performances to learning opportunities after the show
- Create and update information for school field trips on Edublog website
- Work with Director of Marketing to create and implement marketing plan for education programming
- Act as producer of youth productions such as Young Playwrights Festival, Project Pride, and summer production camps
- Create and staff in-school experiences, such as Classroom Immersions and pre-show workshops
- Create and sustain additional outreach partnerships with youth service organizations and schools
- Supervise Director of the Theatre School and Theatre School teaching artists
- Supervise Booking Coordinator
- Track and maintain the education department budget
- Hire, train, and supervise teaching artists to lead in-school workshops and residencies
- Hire, train, and supervise teaching artists to act as directors of youth productions
- Coordinate with Technical Director on youth productions’ technical needs
- Coordinate and direct Project Daylight, in partnership with University of Missouri Kansas City
- Other Education duties as assigned
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience interacting with parents and patrons through an education lens
- Strong communication, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications preferred
- Strong experience and knowledge of theatre production and theatre education
- Ability to be highly collaborative with staff, colleagues, and stakeholders
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record and reliable vehicle
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage
- Retirement benefit and match
- Hybrid work model
- Self-managed time off policy
The Coterie Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants shall be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), disability, military status, veteran status, marital status, familial status, ancestry, genetics, or any other class or characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Studies have shown that marginalized communities - such as women, LGBTQ+ and people of color - are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification.
The Coterie Theatre is dedicated to fostering an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace. If your past experience does not align perfectly but you are excited about this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. Candidates from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit resumes and cover letters by December 31, 2023, to Jonathan Thomas at email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999