Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Hope Academy - Lead Teacher (House of Hope KC)
Position Summary =
The House of Hope Kansas City (HOHKC) Lead Teacher reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the HOHKC Lead Team. The Lead Teacher is responsible for overseeing the classroom management and behavioral direction of the residents, as well as the point leader of developing the academic plan for each resident. The Lead Teacher will act as the liaison between the School Team and House Team to ensure consistency in behavioral standards for the residents. The Lead Teacher will partner with staff and volunteer tutors to create a positive and organized learning environment for the residents of the House of Hope KC.
Primary Position Responsibilities =
- Responsible for tracking each resident’s academic progress throughout the semester through progress charts developed with input by each resident.
- Provide one-on-one academic support, tutoring, and goal setting to each resident as needed
- Serve as communication point person to BLVS, parents, and residents for any concerns about progress or IEP support requirements
- Direct assignments & resident focus for each staff tutor and volunteer tutors.
- Classroom Management
- Responsible for developing and tracking each resident’s behavioral goals related to the school day to ensure focus on academics.
- Provide phased disciplinary plan for residents when there are behavioral challenges.
- Alongside Program Coordinator, develop career shadowing, ministry service events, and field trips to enrich the academic environment.
- Responsible for communicating with counselors on any concerning trends and/or growth patterns in a particular resident related to their behaviors and/or academic performance in the classroom.
- Oversee the internet monitoring of each resident and address any concerning trends or activity.
- Evaluate internet monitoring software to ensure HOHKC is using the best value product on the market.
- Work with IT personnel to address any technological issues that might arise.
- Completion of ‘Daily Shift Reports’ and if necessary, ‘Incident Reports’ to catalog residents’ behavior during the school day.
- Oversee and execute emergency preparedness plans with residents.
- Highly organized
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently
- Firm but encouraging Spirit
- Passion for helping others
- Compassionate toward those with difficult backgrounds
- Teachable posture
- Patience and discernment
- Ability to learn new technology, computer programs, and subjects quickly
- Bachelor’s in Social Service or related field, experience working with teenagers preferred.
- Weekday hours (Monday-Friday), approximately 30 hours per week
- At least 1 year prior experience working in social service and/or group home setting.
Job Type: Part Time
Salary Range: Up to $29,999