Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
“Every day, we work to support and build inclusive, powerful, and healthy communities characterized by racial equity and economically just systems.” With this as our purpose and reason for being, Health Forward Foundation is building the future of our region by grasping the issues that cause disparate health outcomes at their roots. Health Forward Foundation’s mission is to achieve health equity and secure a fair and just region through leadership, advocacy, and resources. We support direct services and drive systems change for healthy people, community power, and equitable and just places. We support and partner with community-based and cross-sector organizations to improve health on all fronts, from providing vital health services, to working to advance safe and affordable housing, to amplifying the power that exists in our communities through civic engagement on matters that influence heath.
Health Forward Foundation was created in 2003 with an original endowment of $440 million from the sale of Health Midwest, a nonprofit hospital system, to Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), a for-profit hospital management company. Health Forward’s service area encompasses Kansas City, Missouri, and Jackson, Cass, and Lafayette counties in Missouri, and Johnson, Wyandotte, and Allen counties in Kansas. Our history in these communities predates the foundation, as these were the places served by Health Midwest, which after the hospital’s sale evolved to form Health Forward. The foundation is governed by a 21-member board of directors and is managed by a professional staff of 26 employees. As of December 2021, the approximate net market value of the foundation’s investment portfolio was $950 million. With nearly two decades of history, Health Forward has invested more than $340 million to improve health throughout its service area.
Health Forward is committed to the process and the outcome of equity, inclusion, and anti
-racism in its investments in services and systems change, employment practices, talent management, investments, vendor selection, and governance. Health Forward views equity as a fundamental element of social justice and integral in our purpose and to our mission.
Through a framework that places high value on inquiry and learning Health Forward seeks to increase our understanding of people in our community whose health have been impacted by economic disparities and racial inequities. In the spirit of continuous improvement and innovation, we reflect on lessons learned, share the results with others, and integrate that learning into future work. Further, we strive to ensure that the voices and perspectives of those affected by economic disparities and racial inequities are centered in our learning and that this learning is in partnership with the communities we serve.
To ensure that our community investments effectively work towards our mission, Health Forward’s approach toward learning incorporates the following components:
- Improve Planning: Providing data and insights, including the stories of people with lived experience, that helps us answer strategic questions and long-term strategic goals.
- Improve Effectiveness: Use what we have learned to inform and improve our leadership, advocacy and stewardship of resources (grantmaking and social impact investments).
- Assess Progress and Impact: Understand the impact of our work’s contribution towards promoting the health of our community. We assess progress and the extent to which our work is helping us achieve our purpose and mission and use our “learnings” to make strategic adjustments to our work. Ultimately, we seek to learn from experiences and to gain and share insight with partners and our community.
The Learning Strategist will be responsible for creating and implementing comprehensive work plans for collecting insights, designing, and deploying evaluation studies and engaging teams in learning that both informs future strategy work and assesses existing work. This position is responsible for implementing the Learning and Evaluation team’s approaches to assessing progress and impact, creating learning, and knowledge management for each of the teams they support – with an emphasis on being able to tailor planning and actions to the context and priorities of each team.
- Support the Director of Learning and Evaluation in developing and implementing a learning plan for the organization and our work, alongside internal and external partners, while centering equity in all our methods and practices as we learn with our communities.
- Analyze and articulate health issues and trends within the Foundation’s service area.
- Create and lead approaches to compile, analyze, and communicate pertinent community health data.
- Work in partnership with the communication team to develop and support learning and communication plans for Foundation initiatives.
- Cultivate strong research-related relationships with current and potential nonprofit organizations, foundation partners, and research contractors.
- Work with grants management to develop indicators and evaluation measures to inform Health Forward’s learning from its grantmaking.
- Work with the strategy team to create and drive practices that support regular reflection, and application of learning to strategic decisions.
- Support communication efforts for Health Forward’s work through the development of infographics, data maps, and other visual and interactive tools.
- Support policy and advocacy research as needed.
- Engage in internal planning sessions to provide a learning and evaluation voice in the development of initiatives.
- Develop verbal and written presentations utilizing Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and Excel software.
- The Learning Strategist is a team oriented individual contributor who stewards’ relationships internally and externally. The Strategist reports to the Director of Evaluation and Learning.
- The successful contributor possesses a clear understanding of Health Forward’s ecosystem, purpose plan, and intended impacts. It also leverages and shares best and promising practices from the learning community, foundations and philanthropy serving organizations in the execution of its work.
- Master’s degree preferred. Degree or experience in public health or social sciences preferred. Education in field requiring hypothesis testing and systemic data analysis.
- 7+ years of work experience in research, evaluation design, data analysis and/or program evaluation.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative evaluation and research methodology.
- Experience in the philanthropic, nonprofit, health-related or public health sectors strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of health equity issues and their relevance to health outcomes.
- A self-starter with a high level of initiative and inquisitiveness.
- A critical thinker with ability to understand causes of complex problems and envision systemic changes.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate detailed technical material to non-technical audiences.
- Vaccination for COVID-19 is a requirement for this position, requests for medical or religious accommodation will be considered.
Alignment with Health Forward values of Trust, Partnership, Learning, Stewardship, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-racism.
The anticipated hiring salary range for this position is $90,400 – $113,000. The package will be determined by the experience level, credentials and personal characteristics of the candidate offered. Health Forward Foundation offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, paid time off, and a hybrid work environment.
OMNI and our clients are Equal Opportunity Employers and seek diversity in candidates for employment. EEO Employer W/M/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Job Type: Full Time,Temporary
Salary Range: $75,000 - 99,999,$100,000 and over