Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
PART TIME INSTRUCTOR FOR OUTDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION
Green Works in Kansas City is a nonprofit founded in 2007. We work to empower urban youth to care for the environment, contribute to our economy, and create healthy communities. Our overall goal for our students is for them to grow into independent, resilient, and accountable adults who are actively engaged in protecting our natural resources and contributing to our community.
Green Works provides a number of different programs, including an after-school Outdoor Nature Discovery program entitled ECOS (Environmental Connection Opportunities for Students). ECOS serves 4th - 10th grade students at two Kansas City urban community centers and includes classroom nature lessons, field trips, and service projects. We aim to help students cultivate an understanding and appreciation of the natural and built environment in which they live and its relevance to their lives, to give students repeated direct experience in nature where they live, to generate understanding of fundamental natural resource concepts such as material lifecycles, and to increase student aspirations toward green jobs across disciplines and sectors (not just STEM).
We are seeking dynamic, high energy instructors, with a passion for urban experiential education and the environment, to teach one to three ECOS classes weekly during the school year. This position begins in August 2019 and the core responsibilities run through mid-May 2020. We do not run classes for the majority of December and January.
- Significant experience working with youth
- Proficient in experiential learning methods
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Excellent project management / organizational skills
- Flexible, adaptable, professional calm problem-solver
- Direct communicator
- Conflict resolution skills
- Passion for nature and being outdoors
- Sustainable values and consideration for the environment and people
- Friendly, kind, honest and considerate demeanor
- Strong character and professional work-style references
- Experience in urban teaching environments
- Basic fluency in Spanish
- Significant undergraduate work, or degree, in Education, Sociology, Social Work, Environmental Science/Studies, or other relevant field
- Excellent writing skills
- Attendance at coordination meetings with site locations in August and early September.
- Recruiting students at several events in August and early September.
- Serving as a co-instructor for one to three classes of ECOS each week. Classes are scheduled for 23 weeks during the school year, beginning in mid- September, on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Wed. class requires attendance from 2:45 - 5:30 and Saturday classes require attendance from 9:15 - 12:15 and 12:45 - 3:45.
- Managing class details including snacks, attendance, taking photos, communication with field trip buses and guest speakers, moving supplies from office to site location.
- Maintaining current student and parent contact information, including emergency contacts.
- Attending weekly team meetings and planning and lesson review - these may be in person or virtual.
- Posting weekly photo updates to social media, providing current class statistics and program updates for grant reports, and attending periodic environmental education network meetings.
- Participation in continuous curriculum and program feedback and evaluation.
- Additional – Depending on skill set and interest, there may be opportunities for involvement in additional Green Works programs including on-demand ECOS classes, environmental service projects, workforce development, and entrepreneurial experiences.
Compensation and hours
The ECOS instructor is a contract position compensated at the rate of $20-$25/hr. depending on experience. The target start date is mid-late August for planning and student recruitment, with classes beginning in mid-September. Hours can range from 6-15 hours per week during the weeks of scheduled ECOS classes. (Hours are dependent on the number of classes taught.) No classes are scheduled during most of December and January, and periodically classes are canceled due to weather or school district events and schedules.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume. Email is quicker and preferred.
Attn: Roberta Vogel-Leutung
Green Works in Kansas City
607 East 31st Street
Kansas City, MO 64109
Job Type: Part Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999