Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Principal/Head of School
The Principal/Head of School will serve as the chief administrator and head of Kansas City Academy (KCA) in development, implementation, and application of policies, programs, curriculum activities, and budgets in a manner that promotes the educational development of students and the professional development of staff members.
KCA is a personalized learning community that respects individuality, encourages independent thinking, and values creativity in all disciplines. This small, independent, non-profit middle and high school is located in Kansas City’s Waldo neighborhood.
The position of Principal of Kansas City Academy is intended to provide leadership and expertise for the purpose of educating young adults for responsible decision-making in an ever-changing world. The position is both broad-based and functional. The broad leadership aspect shapes the quality and character of the school—especially through influence with faculty, while the functional leadership defines performance within the school. The principal influences school culture by stimulating innovation and encouraging performance among students, faculty, and staff. The Principal supports an environment that is “Academically minded. Creatively driven”. In the
long-term this position will be responsible for, along with the board of directors, identifying funding for and hiring an Assistant Principal/Dean of Students to assist with day-to-day student affairs.
- Management of fiscal, administrative, and facilities functions including budget, regulatory compliance, board documents, student admittance, and facilities coordination.
- Provide educational leadership. Assures that the philosophy and vision of the school is maintained in curricular, personnel, management and communication decisions. Maintains an educational climate that fosters collegiality and team building among all members of the KCA community. Oversees curricular development and implementation of instruction.
- Coordinates Human Relation functions for KCA community including faculty, staff, and students.
- Facilitates school and community relations including board interactions, parent engagement, and community representation.
Detailed job description will be provided to selected applicants.
A successful applicant will demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
- Masters degree in educational leadership, administration, or similar focus
- Prior experience in middle and high school administration
- Five years of classroom teaching experience preferred
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Ability to create a safe, positive school climate for students, faculty and staff
- Ability to foster growth, creativity, and flexibility using a variety of techniques
- Ability to facilitate resolution of interpersonal conflicts
- Demonstrate successful experience in shared decision-making, program development, staff and faculty supervision, and evaluation.
- Knowledge and skill in fiscal management, staff development, and human relations.
- Knowledge and demonstrative skills in the use of technology for teaching and learning.
- Managerial skills in planning, organizing, delegating and listening.
- Ability to gain and demonstrate knowledge of applicable education policies and laws applicable to a private educational organization
- Strong analytical ability to organize data and make informed decisions
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize as necessary
- Ability to work constructively with a varied level of professionals and students
- Ability to attend school and community meetings, activities, and events as needed
- Ability to efficiently organize work and manage time in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to work outside of normal school hours as needed
- Legally able to work in the United States
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a single document, preferably as a PDF, including cover letter, resume, and references to HOSsearch@kcacademy.org by 5:00 p.m. Monday, November 1, 2021.
In order to meet the target hire date, KCA search committee will be interviewing qualified applicants between November 2nd through November 24th. Final candidates must be available in early January 2022 for meetings with the school community.
Job Type: Full Time