Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Position Title: Reading Specialist
Reports to: HIKE Program Manager
- Minimum Associates degree, Bachelor's degree preferred, in Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Child Development, or closely related field.
- Experience working with and/or teaching reading/literacy to children and an ability to individualize instruction and care.
- Strong ability to develop trusting relationships with children, young adults, and parents.
- Ability to communicate effectively and establish partnerships with other staff, volunteers, community partners and parents with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Three years’ experience in data and outcome analyzation preferred.
- Competency in a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases, and spreadsheets.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple responsibilities concurrently.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people.
- In partnership with the HIKE Manager and on-site Service Coordinator, the Reading Specialist will research and implement best practices and interventions to successfully coach youth who are six months to two years behind standard reading level to bring them up to grade level.
- Develop daily, interactive literacy lesson plans and activities that are based on the individual needs of the youth.
- Partner with all staff to provide outreach to engage parents in their children’s education.
- Work directly with parents to discuss potential learning obstacles and provide education on how to improve their children’s reading skills as needed.
- Administer assessments and surveys as required to monitor youth’s abilities and attitudes towards learning and academic achievement.
- Actively engage in team-based planning and shared decision-making.
- Work collaboratively with community partners, volunteers, and evaluation staff.
- Be a positive representative and advocate on behalf of the agency, directly working to promote the mission and values of the organization.
- Perform additional duties as requested.
To apply, please email your cover letter with salary requirements, resume and three references.
No phone calls please.
This position is responsible for developing skills focused literacy and reading instruction to youth grades Kindergarten through 8th, and for directing a group of volunteers who work with the youth as Reading Coaches. This is an hourly non-exempt position, the hours are typically Monday through Thursday during after school hours – 1:30-6:30 pm, and occasionally on Fridays if needed. It may include occasional evenings or weekends for parent activities. The position offers an average of 24 hours/week.
Job Type: Part-time
Job Type: Part Time