Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Refugee Learning Center Program Assistant AmeriCorps VISTA
POSITION SUMMARY:Successfully promote and support the mission of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas as guided by the Catholic Social Teachings through a one-year placement for a Service Member in the Refugee Learning Center, focusing on education and employment mentoring services. Build capacity of the Refugee Learning Center by developing and implementing educational programming for newly arrived refugees in Wyandotte and Johnson counties in Kansas. Impact poverty by increasing the number of refugees in education and employment mentor programs. Stabilize newly arrived refugees by creating social support networks, EEO.
- Assist in curriculum development and support the Refugee Learning Center’s ELL, Cultural Orientation, and Job Readiness programs.
- Help recruit, train, and manage volunteers assigned to the Refugee Learning Center.
- Manage the English Outreach tutor program utilized by Catholic Charities. Develop volunteer resources and support systems to improve its effectiveness and sustainability.
- Set up outreach systems and develop partnerships with community organizations, local businesses , and public education institutions to increase knowledge of refugee populations served by Catholic Charities. Develop informational marketing materials as needed.
- Complete all necessary documentation to ensure compliance with funding requirements and agency quality assurance standards.
- Work with Manager of Refugee Resettlement to track participation for educational programs, reporting participation as needed.
- Produce quality reports that can be used on social media, traditional medial, and federal reporting requirements which demonstrate the anti-poverty and capacity building work being accomplished during your VISTA service term.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrate a passion for the mission of Catholic Charities
- Must be willing to perform by the agency’s values: love, patience, kindness, faithfulness, self- control and joy
- Catholic Charities promotes a diverse workforce. Employees are not required to be Catholic, however, employees of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas must understand that they are a visible representative of the Archdiocesan Church and as such will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration, or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies
- Must complete VIRTUS training, background screening, drug testing, and any ongoing training as required
- Minimum high school diploma, bachelor’s degree preferred. Experience working with refugees, especially in US resettlement program, desired. Preferred experience working in a classroom setting.
- Establish highly effective relationships with clients, community agencies, volunteers, and other staff members.
- Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form in English and have excellent presentation skills for large and small groups.
- Must be able to type and know how to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook to ensure accuracy in participation tracking and case management reporting, required by state and federal funding agencies, match grant program and local department of children and families.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that is very diverse, with a familiarity of refugee populations and able to ensure confidentiality of all clients.
- Must possess a valid Kansas or Missouri Driver’s license, dependable transportation, current vehicle insurance and a verified safe driving record.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: (Use and/or modify the examples below to articulate the specific requirements for the position)
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer, standing in the classroom, bending and moving
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds
- Must have physical ability to effectively communicate with others
- Must have the physical ability and appropriate licensure for driving