Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
DATE: January 16, 2020
STATUS: Non-Exempt, PRN (as needed, on-call)
TITLE: Substitute Teacher
SUPERVISOR: Education Coordinator & Director of Children’s Programs
Operation Breakthrough is a not-for-profit organization that helps children who are living in poverty develop to their fullest potential by providing them a safe, loving and educational environment. Operation Breakthrough strives to support and empower the children’s families through advocacy, referral services, and emergency aid.
A Substitute Teacher instructs and supervises children in a full day, Head Start Classroom or School-Age Classroom.
Requires a minimum of a CDA or nine (9) college credit hours in any coursework. Applicants are required to provide transcripts and/or current CDA certificates. Preferred qualifications include Certified Substitute Teaching, Youth Development Credential, CDA, Associates or Bachelors Degree in Elementary or Early Childhood Education and two (2) years with educational programming.
- Complete or supervise the completion of daily attendance, meal counts, lesson plans, classroom cleanliness checklists, etc.
- Implement activities and teaching methods to carry out the program according to the developmental level of the individual child.
- Implement the Head Start Creative Curriculum in the classroom and follow Developmentally Appropriate Practices according to the lesson plan.
- Maintain a positive classroom environment that promotes learning.
- Communicate to Supervisor observed safety, physical, and licensing issues.
- Supervise mealtimes.
- Maintain CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Pass a TB test, physical exam and background check prior to hire date and update TB and physical exam every other year.
- Ability to bend, kneel and squat many times each day.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 45 pounds several times a day.
- Dependability including arrives at work on time, uses approved lunch/break times appropriately, follow procedures in requesting and reporting leave time, document all times leaving and returning to the building.
- Good hygiene and personal appearance.
- Promote communication, warmth, and respect among all staff and volunteers.
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to staff, children and families according to established guidelines.
- Model appropriate behavior, language and communication skills for children.
- Interact respectfully and professionally with others.
- Sensitivity to diverse learning styles, knowledge/skill levels, and cultural orientation.
Indoor classroom and outdoor recess (weather permitting).
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of an employee.
Operation Breakthrough is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Operation Breakthrough is “At Will”.
If you are interested in a career with Operation Breakthrough, please visit the “Contact Us” page of our website at www.operationbreakthrough.org and download an employment application.
Deadline: Open Until Filled