Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Position: Teaching Assistant
Reports To: Preschool Program Director
Direct Reports: N/A
Summary/Objective: Assisting the teacher with classroom prep and daily instruction, the Teaching Assistant at CCVI plays a critical role in the successful execution of student education in the classroom.
• Ability to remain calm in emergency or crisis situations
• Attention to detail and organizational skills
• Patience and persuasion in working with small children
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills in a team environment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Assists the teacher before and after (&/or) after school each day, preparing classroom for daily instruction, keeping classroom neat and orderly and keeping toys safe, clean and in good repair.
• Greets and/or waits with the bussed children, assisting them on and off the bus.
• Carries out the work assigned by the classroom teacher and the Preschool Program Director.
• Works with individual children as assigned by the classroom teacher, assisting with implementation of children’s goals and assists teacher in collecting data.
• Prepares snacks and does any necessary cleanup work (tables, spills, floors, etc.) including Staff Activity Room and Cafeteria (during and after student use).
• Helps the children with any toileting needs, including the following:
o Supervise children using toilet or sink
o Assists in toilet training
o Takes children to bathroom on schedule
o Keeps changing areas orderly and sanitized
o Changes diapers of children who are not toilet-trained
o Lifts children to and from the changing table
• Assist in playground supervision, working under the direction of the teacher.
• Helps with the children’s lunch period with appropriate training; this may include feeding children with special feeding programs or concerns.
• Assists with children during field trips.
• Assists with children during CCVI evening programs and family events.
• Attends team meetings and required in-services and trainings.
• Becomes knowledgeable of specialized equipment, including assistive technology, braille embosser, laminator, iPad, and others, and assists students, teacher, and therapists in use of the equipment.
• Office &/or classroom. Limited extreme temperatures.
• Sitting, standing, and walking.
• Lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring students.
• Frequent reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching.
• Must be able to lift up to 35 pounds. And assist in lifting up to 60 pounds.
Required education and experience
• High School degree/GED
• 2+ years experiencing working with young children Preferred education and experience
• 2+ years experiencing working with children with disabilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: Up to $29,999