Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Event Assistant (part time, contract)
About the IRC
The International Relations Council strengthens Kansas City's global perspective by maintaining an active dialogue around world events, global issues, and their impact on our community. As a nonpartisan, educational nonprofit organization, the IRC values informed civil discourse, accessibility, and substance as we work to sharpen our community's 21st-century global acumen. Our vision is a globally informed, engaged, and active Kansas City community that welcomes diverse perspectives and connects through a sincere desire to contribute to our shared future. Learn more at www.irckc.org.
The International Relations Council, a Kansas City nonprofit membership organization, seeks a part-time event assistant to support the planning, marketing, implementation, and evaluation of in-person and digital events. (Please note that we have paused the planning of in-person events and transitioned all events to virtual delivery but will be responsive to changing circumstances.) This position reports to the program coordinator. The contract period for this position is the beginning of August through the end of December 2020, and the role will average 10 hours/week.
Essential Job Functions
Event Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation (75%)
- Support the arrangement of details, including venue, A/V, catering, transportation, lodging, program materials, and other elements, for recurring in-person and online IRC events (lectures, Book Club, Global Experience, News & Views, networking hours, etc.)
- Support advance event registration and technical needs of attendees (e.g. Zoom training)
- Support the successful execution of IRC events, including on-site registration, supervision of A/V and catering, photography or audio/video recording, and other day-of details
- Introduce and moderate online programs, as required
- Distribute feedback surveys after events
- Connect with other organizations and networks, past attendees, and IRC members to promote upcoming IRC events
- Other related duties as assigned
- Special projects as required
- Two or more years of university study in nonprofit management, international studies, or other related field
- One year related professional experience; desire to grow as a nonprofit professional
- One year customer-service experience, working with the public
- Demonstrated passion for and knowledge of world affairs, global current events, and the IRC’s mission
- Developed cross-cultural competence, evidenced by prior work, study, or travel
- Strong communication skills in English, evidenced by application materials and interview
- Proven time and project management, dependability, efficiency, organization, and team skills
- Creativity and ability to solve problems with diplomacy, flexibility, and good judgment
- Professionalism and integrity
- Professional experience in the nonprofit sector
- Successful experience executing events with audiences of 100+
- Familiarity with the Zoom digital meeting platform
- Experience moderating public programs
- Experience with CRM/database software
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Proven effective marketing ability, including social media
Environment and Other Expectations
The IRC office is located in the Crossroads District of Kansas City, Missouri. IRC staff work in a fast-paced environment and should be prepared to balance multiple priorities and deadlines, take ownership of their projects, and work independently, as part of a team, and with a variety of interns, volunteers, board members, and other area organizations. Given the realities of Covid, we anticipate this position to be primarily, if not fully, remote for the duration of the contract period, so applicants should have access to reliable phone and internet service. Applicants should reside in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area. This position involves a mix of daytime and evening hours.
Compensation and Contract Term
The pay range identified for this position is $15.00-$15.75/hour, commensurate with education and experience.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample of no more than 500 words, and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Event Assistant Application” as the subject. For priority consideration, applications should be received no later than Friday, July 10, 2020.
Job Type: Part Time,Temporary