Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Chief Operating Officer
About The J
Established in 1914, the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City (“The J”) is open to people of all backgrounds and faiths, making it one of the most diverse and well-respected community centers in the Midwest. The J has over 11,000 individual members and welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors annually to its cultural, fitness, education, child care, recreation, sports, theater, camping and senior adult programs.
Noted for its state-of-the-art fitness and aquatics facilities, award-winning early childhood and camp programs and 500-seat White Theater, The J operates within the context of Jewish values and traditions. This is a unique opportunity for a dynamic individual seeking a multi-faceted, responsible, high-impact position.
The Chief Operating Officer is a senior executive position at The J established to inject entrepreneurship and innovation and catalyze growth in the areas of Seniors, Youth, Arts + Culture and Jewish Experiences. This position requires exceptional strategic planning and supervision skills and a willingness to restructure and assume direct (interim) control of departments as necessary. The COO provides enhanced levels of leadership, strategic direction, professionalism, accountability and management to ensure the development and delivery of enticing, competitive, profitable and fresh programs. The COO ensures that supervised departments develop annual program goals and meet annual budgets that breed sustainable growth.
- Provide strong, close supervision of the Directors of the Child Development Center (preschool), Camp + School-Age Services, Arts + Culture, Family Engagement, Heritage Center and Jewish Experience departments, ensuring they meet budget goals, increase profitability and add value to membership.
- Ensure integration of Judaic content throughout the entire J.
- Proactively build collaborative partnerships/working teams between departments to ensure cross-marketing and cohesive programming that adds value to membership.
- Provide leadership to stimulate staff in the conceptualization, organization and implementation of new program directions and strategies.
- Represent The J to other organizations, the media, and the public at large as needed.
- Partner with CEO on various aspects of leadership development and strategic planning within the organization and with The J Board of Directors.
- Work with staff to build robust committees to help grow, innovate and support key programs.
- Represent the Chief Executive Officer in his/her absence.
- Lead Risk Management, which includes oversight of J Risk Management Committee and interaction with Campus and Community Security Director.
- Supervise the Marketing and Information Technologies functions to accomplish overarching organizational goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Organization and Planning - Plans, schedules and organizes in an efficient and productive manner, focuses on key priorities.
Analytical Skills - Demonstrates ability to structure and process data and draw insightful conclusions.
Capacity Building - Demonstrates the ability to effectively maintain and build organization capacity and develops the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
Management and Finance - Demonstrates a thorough understanding of operations and finance; broad experience with a full range of business functions and systems including budgeting, analysis and finance.
Communication - Demonstrates the ability to communicate positively and professionally with staff at all levels of the organization.
Problem Solving - Correctly identifies current problem and seeks solutions to minimize future problems. Demonstrates patience, tenacity, and resourcefulness.
Productive Workflow - Produces significant output with appropriate effort; works efficiently. Successfully manages details. Demonstrates strong work ethic, willingness to work hard and intrinsic motivation to get the job done.
Collaboration - Ability to proactively reach out to peers, other J staff, and leadership to maximize collaborative working relationships.
Resilience - Continues to perform positively and effectively when faced with time pressures, adversity, disappointment, or conflict. Remains focused, composed, and optimistic in difficult situations and recovers from setbacks. Is able to quickly and positively respond to unforeseen changes or complications, even with limited information and under time and resource constraints.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Nonprofit Management, Jewish Communal Service or related field
- Experience leading an organization in a Senior Director or Vice President role
- Minimum of 5 years’ successful experience in operations management of complex organizations
- Demonstrated success managing teams towards common goals through effective goal setting, delegating responsibilities, managing performance, and holding staff accountable for outcomes and timelines
- Excellent leadership and people skills, including the ability to proactively partner with a diverse team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including public speaking
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Cultural competence and/or knowledge of Jewish culture, history and traditions
- MBA or Master’s degree in related field
- Experience leading in a non-profit organization
- Experience working in a Jewish Community Center or Jewish communal organization preferred
About The J
The J is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. The J is Shabbat-Observant Friendly.
The mission of The J is to build a strong, vibrant and inclusive community that enhances wellness, meaning and joy based on Jewish values, heritage and culture.
The J operates on these values:
- Welcoming + Inclusive - We are welcoming, inclusive and nurturing. We invite all to join us in making connections and lifelong friendships.
- Building Community - We believe in the strength of community and we seek to cultivate a sense of belonging in all we do.
- Enriching Mind + Body + Soul - We help individuals live a physically, intellectually, and emotionally healthy lifestyle.
- Passing on Jewish Culture + History - We celebrate and pass on the values, culture, history, and traditions of the Jewish people.
- Treat Others As You Wish To Be Treated - We treat everyone with respect, dignity and loving kindness.
Please apply online and include desired salary range in your cover letter. All applications are confidential. For questions or assistance, contact Mary Beth Sloan at firstname.lastname@example.org.