Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Chief Operating Officer
United Way of Greater Kansas City is seeking a dynamic and purpose driven leader to serve as its Chief Operating Officer (COO). Reporting to the CEO and serving as a vital member of the Executive Leadership Team, the COO’s primary responsibility is to lead the finance and operations functions of the organization, developing and implementing strategies that seek to constantly improve United Way’s financial performance, staff experience, and operational excellence in service of our mission and overall organizational strategic vision.
We’re more than fundraisers. We’re the hand-raisers and game changers. We go looking for the tough issues in our community, and with your help, we go solve them. United Way of Greater Kansas City (UWGKC) unites donors, volunteers, businesses, nonprofits and community leaders to help change the lives of those in need. We are making Kansas City and the surrounding area better…100 years and counting. Come be a part of the pinnacle nonprofit in our community!
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Manage the VP of Finance and provide strategy and leadership of the Finance Department.
- Set overall strategy of annual budget to ensure expenses are necessary and reserve goals are met.
- Advise CEO, Board of Trustees, and Management Team on matters pertaining to finance policies and expense management.
- Participate in financial and business planning including reviewing financial reports, managing the budget process, and ensuring auditing and accounting policies are followed.
- Provide oversight and approval of financial transactions and serve as the primary relationship holder with external audit and banking partners.
- Oversee the annual audit activities and ensure the organization is in good standing.
- Serve as the lead staff support to the Board’s Audit and Finance Committees.
Operations, IT & Human Resources:
- Manage the VP of Operations and ensure that the Operations Department is on track to meet its goals at they relate to facilities, technology, and staff experience.
- Serve as thought partner and provide guidance and creative ideas to better the organization. Seek additional expertise when needed to identify proper solutions.
- Provide leadership in evaluation of internal and external IT solutions, and lead change management efforts to adopt new technology solutions as needed.
- Partner with outsourced HR vendor to ensure all policies and procedures are being followed.
- Provide leadership and partnership to VP of Operations and outsourced HR partner on employee-facing strategies, including culture, compensation, DEIB, hiring, retention and evaluation.
- Hold accountability for overall administration of retirement plans and health insurance benefits
- Serve as the liaison to outside legal counsel, HR partners, and IT providers.
Strategic Leadership & Organizational Oversight:
- Participate in the development of organizational objectives to ensure high quality services.
- Ensure new and existing programs are conducted within an environment of financial viability and regulatory compliance.
- Create and support an environmental culture that is conducive to the implementation of organizational goals and achievement of the overall strategic plan.
- Collaborate with members of the executive management team and other organizational leaders to identify and implement appropriate operational strategies.
- Monitor internal processes and identify and employ the most efficient methods of running the organization.
- Ensure all organizational activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Provide support to the CEO in stewarding the composition and experience of the Board of Directors and serve as the lead staff support to the Board’s Governance Committee.
External Stakeholder Relations
- Participate in fundraising activities, as needed, such as corporate partner relations, campaign events, and soliciting new partners at direction of CEO.
- Represent United Way at events, including speaking opportunities, panel discussions, or media requests at the direction of CEO.
- Champion the cause and values of United Way throughout the community.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and be physically present in the office. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- 8 - 10 years business or nonprofit administrative experience, including progressive leadership and management of productive teams required.
- Experience leading financial, human resource, and IT functions.
- A strong reputation for integrity and professionalism.
- Possess intellectual curiosity and a drive to excel.
- Strong performance management and evaluation capabilities including the willingness and ability to ensure accountability.
- Ability to build strong relationships both inside and outside UWGKC, to think strategically, and to foster an inclusive environment consistent with UWGKC’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Must have the ability to prepare, explain, and monitor performance.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high stakes relationships with a diverse group of staff, donors, volunteers and partners, manage projects and workload of self and others effectively, and engage constructively with the other members of the United Way team.
- Experience with managing through complex HR, IT and operational issues is highly desired.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits: United Way of Kansas City offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, benefits package including full health and dental coverage; “unlimited flexible” vacation; 403(b) with company match; flexible office culture; employee development opportunities and a hybrid work environment.
OMNI and our clients are Equal Opportunity Employers and seek diversity in candidates for employment. EEO Employer W/M/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Job Type: Full Time