Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Director of Finance and Operations
Powell Gardens is seeking a collaborative visionary with a sense of urgency and growth-focused mindset to become our Director of Finance & Operations (DFO). Reporting to the CEO/President, the DFO will work with leadership to develop a culture of engagement and continuous improvement, be passionate about operating efficiency and deploying at scale, and focus on being strategic and accelerating changes to business processes and system integration. In addition, s/he will also have direct oversight of finance, IT, legal, human resources, maintenance and custodial aspects of the Gardens. S/he will understand how operations efficiency and execution affects all other aspects of the organization and will work with the senior leadership team to prioritize and execute.
- Run Powell Gardens’ business with an operational mindset, focused on improving the quality and efficiency of services that the Gardens provides - while increasing their ability to develop and deliver scalable programs.
- Oversee financial integrity of operations through budgeting and other mechanisms, while anticipating business opportunities and threats
- Oversee risk management in the areas of business insurance, policy and procedure development, employee relations and documentation, personnel, financial management/cash handling, workplace safety and compliance issues.
- Continue the modernization and evolution of the Gardens’ technology and business processes to support revenue generation, efficiencies and growth
- Provide leadership to the Maintenance, Custodial and Security departments to best identify priorities, costs and execution that best uses the Gardens resources.
- Lead the bidding and contracting needs of the Gardens as it relates to vendor relationships, capital projects and major improvements.
The successful candidate will be a visionary leader with a proven track record inside of high growth organizations. Thriving in turnaround environments, s/he will understand how to successfully build and address internal and external constituents’ needs to achieve success. Internally, this individual will serve as an enabling force to constantly raise the bar and keep the team focused on growing the business. S/he will have an eye toward innovation and creativity, with an ability to position the business of Powell Gardens for significant growth in the coming years.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Masters preferred in non-profit management, business management or accounting; MBA is a plus
- 5+ years of operating experience - managing through significant growth and scaling
- Demonstrated experience using management accounting data to facilitate operational goals.
- Significant experience with modern cloud-based operational, finance and accounting software solutions.
- Demonstrated experience developing, with staff, an organizational budget in excess of $3 million.
- Demonstrated experience in working with earned income streams
- Proven expertise and ability to bridge long-term strategy with short-term goals, ensuring that the team has the necessary direction, information, resources and support
- Deep knowledge and understanding of foundational operations support (IT, finance, legal, human resources, facilities management) and how to leverage technology to find solutions
- Familiarity with all facets of the Guest Experience (marketing, sales, admissions, visitor services, amenities) and how to build and retain new audiences within a digital environment
- Strong experience building, motivating and retaining high performing teams; experience working with a Board of Directors
- A ‘lead by example’ mentality, setting the tone for the culture of the organization and building relationships based on trust, honesty and integrity
Please submit a cover letter addressing how your experience would benefit Powell Gardens specifically addressing the skill sets listed in this job posting; a current resume; and three references to Susan Vongretzinger at email@example.com. The full job description can be found at powellgardens.org/jobs.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $75,000 - 99,999