Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Executive Director (ED)
The mission of Heartland Chamber Music (HCM) is to connect, engage, and inspire students of all ages through a lifetime of music education and performance.
What began in 2001 as a summer camp to offer local students the opportunity to study and perform chamber music, HCM has grown into an organization that has inspired students as diverse as physicians, professional symphony musicians and groups of ethnically and racially diverse preschoolers in low socioeconomic neighborhoods throughout our community. The organization has served more than 5,000 students and presented more than 200 concerts throughout the past 18 years in addition to established partnerships with the UMKC Conservatory of Music, JCCC Performing Arts Series, KC Symphony, Friends of Chamber Music, Kansas Public Radio, and our Sprouts sites HCM’s focus is two-fold: chamber music and outreach. The Heartland Chamber Music Festival has grown into one of the most nationally recognized pre-college chamber music programs in the Midwest. During July and August each year, our distinguished faculty from universities, conservatories, and professional symphonies impart their knowledge and passion for chamber music during our student-focused festivals as well as our Adult Workshop for adults.
The newest program, String Sprouts, is an El Sistema based Outreach program. El Sistema USA is a national organization whose mission is to support and grow a nationwide movement of programs inspired by El Sistema to effect social change through music for children with the fewest resources and the greatest need. Sprouts is a free music education program bringing five years of music curriculum beginning in preschool to children living below the poverty line. The curriculum uses research-based techniques to build a foundation for future academic success. The groundbreaking String Sprouts program has taken HCM to an expanded level of exposure and we have positioned ourselves for significant expansion.
HCM is seeking a dynamic leader who will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for HCM's programs, expansion, staff, and execution of its mission. The ED will work to develop and execute a robust fundraising plan, set organizational priorities, and articulate the vision going forward, translating its mission into outcomes that provide financial health and positive impact. The ED must be a strong relationship builder who is able to find and act on opportunities that will help grow the organization.
In its 19th year, this is an exciting time to be part of a small non-profit that is part of a 5-year documentary and has a dynamic Board chair that was recognized by the KC Business Journal as one of the 2018 Women Who Mean Business.
Financial Management and Fund Development
- Together with the Development Director advance and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual gifts, corporate, foundation, and government grants.
- Expand fundraising and revenue-generating activities and support top-quality relationship building with current and new donors.
- Prepare the Annual Budget and oversee finances and cash flows to ensure compliance with the approved budget.
- Develop and implement effective strategic business, financial, and operational plans that will maintain a financially stable and sustainable organization.
- Jointly with the Board, evaluate, modify, and updates HCM’s Strategic Plan.
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors and assist in board member recruitment, orientation, and development.
- Support effective Board operations and provide the information needed for governance, evaluation, resource development, decision making, and other roles.
- Provide vision and strategic thinking for the planned expansion of HCM.
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with timely and regular communication.
- Provide supervision and leadership to staff which enables effective and efficient operations of programs and operations.
- Oversee HCM’s staffing decisions including hiring, promotions, annual performance reviews, and terminations.
- Work directly with the HCM Artistic Advisor to ensure artistic integrity to all programming.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with current and potential Sprouts Sites and Festival partners.
- Coordinate and oversee the development of marketing materials for all programs and create and executive HCM’s communication strategy working closely with documentarian.
- Work closely with Omaha Conservatory of Music (OCM) to ensure Sprouts KC compliance with all curriculum and research data.
- Maintain positive relationships with artists and faculty and empower artistic staff to act as ambassadors to HCM’s programming.
Qualifications – Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree and an unwavering commitment to quality programming and a passion for music and education are required. This is a full-time position with flexible hours and schedule.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and success in non-profit leadership or arts management in addition to managing professionals in the areas of accounting/finances, grant administration, marketing, and fundraising. Candidate must be skilled in board, community, and professional relationship development.
- Community Engagement
- Financial Resource Development and Management
- Program Development expertise
- Strong Written and Verbal Communication Skills
- Organizational skills
- Computer literacy
- Adaptability to perform a variety of duties without loss of efficiency or composure
- Conceptual and strategic thinking
- Adaptability to changing needs and environment
- Ability to practice confidentiality
Screening begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999