Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Executive Director-Kirk Family YMCA (Downtown)
The YMCA of Greater Kansas City has a unique leadership opportunity available. With a focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, we are committed to strengthening communities. The Kirk Family YMCA is built on upon the foundation of an icon of Kansas City, the former Lyric Theatre. The new $37 million full-service center transforms a historic site into a four-level, 65,000 square foot with a family and recreational pool, lap pool, state-of-the-art fitness facilities, and multi-purpose space for meetings, parties and special events. This center will be hub for those who live and work in downtown.
The Executive Director is responsible and accountable for all operational aspects of planning, developing, and implementing membership, programs and services at the appointed center and may be responsible for other aspects of operations. This position is expected to create a superior member experience, emphasize character development and the deliver the mission of the YMCA of Greater Kansas City.
The YMCA of Greater Kansas City’s mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Hiring Range: $72,000 - $80,000
- Recruits, develops and maintains a diverse volunteer community mission board that actively supports the Y’s goals and strategic plans. Clarifies and reinforces the separation of roles and responsibilities between association corporate board and committees, advisory boards, general volunteers and YMCA associates.
- Effectively communicates community benefits and the Y’s impact for all stakeholders (e.g., associates, volunteers, members, program participants and community leaders) to develop positive partnerships and collaborative relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities.
- Creates an inclusive environment to builds bridges within the community to ensure all segments of society have access to the Y.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the center.
- Oversees the hiring, training, development and supervision of all center associates.
- Establishes a customized individual development plan for all center leadership.
- Directs center strategic planning efforts and develops the annual operating business plan for the center.
- Manages the budgeting process so that resources are devoted to top priorities and strategic objectives. Ensures the performance of the center meets or exceeds fiscal targets.
- Creates an environment that delivers world-class customer service throughout the center. Works with center teams to continually improve member and participant engagement and experience. Delivers a successful membership strategy for overall membership and program impact.
- Develops and directs high-quality member engagement strategies and programs that support center and association goals and strategies. Establishes plans for the expansion of programs and services in harmony with overall YMCA objectives and leadership
- Fosters a climate of innovation to develop member-focused programs which support the Y mission, goals and strategies.
- Directs the financial development and philanthropic activities of the center.
- Ensures the safety and maintenance of high-quality facilities, grounds, and equipment.
- Serves as a member of YMCA of Greater Kansas City leadership team and supports the overall objectives of the Y.
- Partners with the Development Team and other members of the association leadership team to identify and develop relationships to support any capital campaigns for the center.
- Ensures compliance with association policies and procedures.
- Ensure attendance at community functions and events to promote the Y, including its mission, programs and services.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years of experience in management, preferably in a Y or related industry.
- Proven experience in supervising, inspiring, developing and motivating associates.
- Proven customer service, sales and marketing experience preferably in a membership setting.
- Proven track record with selling a product or service and meeting or exceeding sales goals.
- Able to direct assigned operations including volunteer development, supervision
of associates, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations,
and program development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including negotiation, presentation skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Intermediate computer skills including experience utilizing email and working in a windows environment.
- Passion, enthusiasm and support for mission and values of the YMCA.
- Demonstrate the ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations, and not-for-profit sector employment policies and procedures.
- Proven ability to create a culture of serving the members and staff within the centers.
- Proven ability to analyze complex information and to define and solve problems.
- Knowledge of marketing and promotion techniques.
Job Type: Full Time