Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Executive Director - Show Me KC Schools
Show Me KC Schools is a nonprofit organization with a mission to help families make well-informed decisions about their students’ education by providing vital information about the school options available. The idea for Show Me KC Schools grew from a group of concerned parents with school-aged children who were committed to living in Kansas City, Missouri and eager to find the right education for their children in a complex school landscape. We are a neutral organization (not affiliated with any one school or district) and have grown to offer a variety of programs for Kansas Citians including the only city-wide school fair, school tours, our thriving website and Kansas City’s common application platform - SchoolAppKC. We’re a one-stop shop to help families get started finding the right school for their children.
The Executive Director of Show Me KC Schools reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives, in addition to managing a team of highly motivated staff members.
Leadership & Management
- Ensure that Show Me KC Schools is meeting the outcomes of its strategic plan, which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing regular program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Provide regular support to six staff members – 3 full-time and 3 part-time
- Maintain a positive climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse and highly motivated staff
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support program operations.
- Write grants and regular reports to maintain a $500,000 budget
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new sponsorship opportunities
- Preserve and strengthen partnerships with foundations through regular meetings and communications with donors
- Establish sound working relationships with participating schools, local businesses, city representatives, neighborhood organizations and community organizations.
- Represent Show Me KC Schools to agencies, organizations, the media and the general public at multiple community events throughout the year.
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the state of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Oversee the publicity of the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
Budget and Finance
- Work with the board in preparing Show Me KC Schools’ annual budget and ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Submit all receipts and invoices to accountant and meet with accounting firm and board treasurer monthly to review income and expenses
- Share and discuss Show Me KC Schools’ financial management reports monthly with the board of directors
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about K-12 school opportunities for children and youth in Kansas City
- Master’s degree in nonprofit management, education or a related field
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years of nonprofit management experience
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of Show Me KC Schools’ strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Proposal writing experience preferred.
- Ability to interface and engage diverse partners and donors
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and take on new projects
Competitive salary and benefits offered.
Please submit your resume and cover letter stating your interest in the position. All inquiries should be submitted to email@example.com. The job posting will be open until filled.
Job Type: Full Time