Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Executive Director - Sleepyhead Beds
Sleepyhead Beds is a small entrepreneurial non-profit organization located at 5604 Troost Avenue in the heart of Jackson County. Sleepyhead Beds is dedicated to improving the quality of life for children and their families by providing clean beds and bedding. Sleepyhead Beds also has an environmental impact: we keep mattresses out of landfills. Founded in 2011, the Kansas City-based organization is in its eighth year of operation and has a $250,000 annual budget. The Sleepyhead Beds board of directors is comprised of 13 directors from the local community.
Sleepyhead Beds is currently searching for an Executive Director. This role will report to the Board of Directors.
Job Summary: The Executive Director is responsible for providing the strategic executive leadership necessary to sustain and enhance all activities of the organization. This person leads, directs and implements the organization’s management, administrative, and programmatic operations of the organization. In addition, the Executive Director works closely with the board of directors to develop and implement the organization’s vision and strategies.
Responsibilities: Duties include but are not limited to:
- Promote the mission of the organization.
- Work with the Board of Directors to maintain a strong vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Convene the Board of Directors for meetings and prepare supporting materials.
- Identify opportunities for and pursue funding sources and partnerships to sustain and increase the organization’s programming capacity and resources.
- Manage grant applications and reporting requirements for all grants to ensure continued funding.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, staff and volunteers to conduct fundraising activities.
- Human Resources
- Implement policies and procedures adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Manage day-to-day operations.
- Ensure staff effectively promotes the organization.
- Train, motivate, develop, and evaluate staff.
- Guide planning, implementation, and evaluation of Sleepyhead Beds programs and services.
- Solicit input and work with Program Manager to enhance current programs and/or develop new programs.
- Act as backup for Program Manager.
- Manage the operation’s financial resources within budget guidelines.
- Work with the Board of Directors to prepare a comprehensive annual budget and keep them apprised regarding performance against that budget.
- Ensure the organization complies with IRS and other regulations.
- Inform Board about funding trends, threats and opportunities.
- Marketing and PR
- Communicate effectively, employing a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Seek opportunities to build awareness of the organization, its mission and its programs.
- Generate media attention for the organization and its sponsors/partners.
- Coordinate production and dissemination of high-quality branded marketing collateral.
- 4-year college degree (Master’s preferred).
- Experience managing a staff and budget of comparable size, working with and reporting to a board.
- Ability to address complex issues in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated success with fundraising and development.
- A leader and a doer.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Skilled verbal and written communicator.
- Self-motivated, with initiative and drive.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends.
- Must have a valid driver’s license in good standing (CDL preferred).
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
Sleepyhead Beds offers a competitive salary with a benefit package that includes paid holidays, paid leave, professional development allowance, and health insurance stipend.
Please submit your resume to Amy Hearst (Board Hiring Committee Chair) at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sleepyhead Beds will accept applications through September 30 but will begin review on September 15.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999