Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Vice President of Finance and Administration
The Vice President of Finance and Administration is responsible for managing and directing the human resources, fiscal resources and all physical assets of Wayside Waifs, while serving as a strategic thought-partner reporting to the President. The position is responsible for building and managing streamlined and effective administrative and financial systems such as financial forecasting, accounting services, budgeting and human resource management systems. The position is charged with leading a successful team of the following departments: Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Facilities, Pet Memorial Services and Volunteer Services.
Finance & Accounting
- Direct and oversee the Organization’s financial plans, financial operations and accounting practices based on generally accepted accounting principles; ensure transparent financial information and ethical behavior standards; advise staff on the Organization’s financial policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement goals, policies and procedures related to all financial and accounting functions including, but not limited to, financial accounting and reporting, budgeting, cash management, external audits and payroll.
- Serve as primary contact with independent audit firm for annual audit, and oversee preparation of documents required for audit and 990 tax return.
- Work closely with the President and Board of Directors as it pertains to the Finance Committee of the Board.
- Manage the Organization’s cash flow, forecasting and oversee the financial portion of capital projects.
- Contribute to the success of Wayside Waifs as a whole. Identify, develop and pursue business opportunities through the Board of Directors and other means that support and/or improve outcomes for other Wayside Waifs’ departments and services.
- Act as a principal steward of the Organization’s resources, ensuring that all resources are utilized properly, legally and ethically.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory, security and operational standards and business practices; ensure all licenses and governmental documents are current.
- Lead and develop a high performing team of professionals and staff who are committed to Wayside Waifs’ mission; ensure that all staff are properly coached, directed, and that clearly defined measurements of performance and rewards are utilized to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness.
- Promote collaborative relationships between departments; provide leadership with conflict resolution and ensure that all staff members perform in a manner consistent with organizational policies, procedures, and best practices associated with their respective disciplines.
- Oversee the development of policies, procedures and practices on all personnel matters for the Organization, including compliance with local, state and federal laws.
- Ensure the Organization’s IT infrastructure is secure and effective on a continuing basis.
- Lead the Facilities department to ensure a productive and efficient day-to-day operation.
- Oversee the Organization’s volunteer program ensuring the program runs safely, effectively and efficiently as to expand the overall reach of Wayside Waifs’ mission.
- Ensure the Pet Memorial Services department provides excellent, empathetic services to clients on a consistent basis.
- Uphold the mission, values, and principles of the Organization at all times. Ensure all business endeavors and relationships, as well as the individual performance of all Wayside Waifs staff, are consistent with the Organization’s mission, values, policies and goals.
- Protect all confidential information including, but not limited to, donors, clients, animals and internal communications.
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily:
- Ability to provide leadership in the establishment and implementation of operational strategies, business plans, operational tactics, budgets and goals.
- Demonstrate a high level of skill at building business relationships and strategic partnerships with internal as well as external resources.
- Provide personal direction, leadership and coaching to the staff. Effectively manage conflict, promote change and growth, to inspire the development of a highly effective team of professionals.
- Ability to build consensus and focus within the Wayside Waifs Organization, as well as among strategic partners and the general public.
- Demonstrate a high level of problem solving skills. Demonstrate the ability to make critical decisions supported by analysis and critical data-based decision making.
- Demonstrate interpersonal savvy and influence skills in all dealings with vendors, suppliers, contractors, prospects, related concerns.
- Ability to recruit, develop and direct a high performing team.
- 10 years of financial and administration management experience
- Experience working with Board of Directors
- Excellent written, verbal communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to make sound decisions regarding shelter management
- A passion for the Mission of Wayside Waifs
- Working knowledge of regulatory bodies relating to payroll and general business financial conditions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; with very strong skills in Excel, payroll processing, and finance and accounting software. Experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university with an emphasis in business administration, finance or accounting, ten+ years related finance/accounting experience at the Director level or above with supervisory experience. CMA, CPA, MA in Accounting or MBA is highly desirable.
- Work in office setting; travel to events and fundraisers in year-round weather conditions.
- Use of computer and keyboard; telephone; copy machines, and other office equipment.
- The employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high. Will frequently be working with and exposed to a variety of animals.
Just as Wayside has committed to providing compassionate care for the thousands of homeless animals who enter our shelter each year, we are equally committed to providing a healthy and humane working environment for our employees. Wayside Waifs is an EOE and is looking for diversity in candidates for employment.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $100,000 and over