Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Church Sexton Position
Rainbow Mennonite Church
1444 Southwest Blvd.
Kansas City, Kansas 66103
Job Posting 2/22/2021-3/8/2021
Rainbow Mennonite Church is a church that values the Anabaptist and historical peace church tradition and is member of the Western District Conference of Mennonite Church USA. The mission of Rainbow Mennonite Church is to maintain a fellowship of all who profess faith and a desire to follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ, regardless of race, ethnic identity, gender, sexual orientation, age, economic or other life circumstances, and who will strengthen and express our faith by corporate worship, study and teaching of the gospel, and who will seek to serve the spiritual and material needs of this and the larger community.
The Church Sexton responds to the upkeep, repairs, maintenance, and custodial needs of the church property and grounds in ways that coincide with the goals, values, vision and mission of the congregation. Flexibility on schedule and some weekend availability is anticipated. Additional hours offered/expected during mowing season (April-October).
Grounds/Building Responsibilities (approximately 20 hours per week)
- In conjunction with the Church Administrator and Trustees, (1) develop and oversee long and short-range plans for preventative maintenance and anticipated replacements and repairs and (2) work within annual budget.
- Regularly inspect the church premises (indoor and outdoor) for areas of need or concern.
- Make arrangements for set-up needs for church and community events both inside and outside.
- Assist church and community volunteers on special projects around the church premises (indoor and outdoor) such as visiting youth groups, clean-up days, park work days, etc.
- Ensure the facility and grounds remain well-maintained. This includes picking up trash, checking for graffiti, leaves, litter, and debris on church property.
- Verify contracted vendors/services are performing duties adequately and report any concerns to the Church Administrator.
- Coordinate the maintenance of the plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems including minor repairs and coordination of volunteers or outside vendors for needed repairs and replacements. When necessary, and in consultation with the Church Administrator and Trustees, contact applicable outside vendors to facilitate repairs, ensuring competitive and fair pricing.
- Maintain, organize, and retain accurate maintenance records for the building, contacts of outside vendors/volunteers, and annual/seasonal maintenance checklists, in consultation with the Church Administrator and Trustees.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of facility policies put in place by leadership to ensure the safety of those using our facilities and overall security.
- Provide a monthly report to the Trustee’s for review during their monthly meetings. Attend Trustees meetings as needed.
Custodial Responsibilities (approximately 10 hours per week)
- Perform custodial duties to keep church facility clean.
- Help monitor supplies and report low inventory to the Church Administrator when necessary (paper goods, cleaning products, filters for air conditioners, etc.)
- Ensure that ministry needs and priorities guide ongoing custodial schedule.
- Weekly laundering of custodial rags and kitchen towels.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- General knowledge of building maintenance, general carpentry, plumbing, electrical experience and custodial work a plus.
- Prior volunteer and employment experience in church or other non-profit settings preferred.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently both independently and as part of the RMC team.
- Basic computer knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent organization, written and oral communication skills.
- Applicable laws and regulations as related to position.
- The role of the position in relationship to the RMC congregation and its vision.
Preferred Education and Experience: Minimum of two years related work experience or training
Certificates/Licenses/ Special Requirements: Not applicable
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Supervision Received: The Church Sexton reports to the Pastor. Note: This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any related duties, as may be required. RMC has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.
Job Type: Full Time, Nonexempt (30 hours) plus additional hours during mowing season
Approximately $17 per hour
Available Benefits: health insurance coverage, dental and vision coverage, life and long-term disability insurance, personal time off, and paid designated holidays
For additional application instructions and information please submit a cover letter and resume to
Sarah Unruh at (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: Up to $29,999