Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
POSITION: Technical Director
REPORTS TO: Producing Artistic Director
JOB TYPE: Exempt position, minimum 40 hours/week (salaried)
SALARY RANGE: $45,000 - $55,000
POSITION SUMMARY: For more than 40 years, The Coterie has provided professional classic and contemporary theatre which challenges audience and artist, as well as educational, dramatic outreach programs in the community. We are in search of a Technical Director to join our team of dedicated and talented artists and non-profit professionals. We seek to open lines of communication between races, genders, and generations by redefining children’s theatre to include families and diverse audiences. This individual will work with directors, designers, and staff on a six (6) show season, Project Pride, Young Playwrights Festival, special events, and outside rentals. The technical director is responsible for operating, protecting, and maintaining the theater’s technical assets, while also managing and overseeing the different technical departments, including set, lighting, costumes, props, and sound. They serve a dual role, acting sometimes as technical experts and advisors, and others as project coordinators. In addition, the person in this position will support and uplift The Coterie’s mission and values and will demonstrate a commitment to the principles of our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Justice work.
- Collaborate with directors, designers, Producing Artistic Director, and other departments to realize productions and events in the theatre while maintaining the artistic mission and standards of The Coterie Theatre
- Construct, rig, and technically coordinate and oversee the six (6) mainstage productions
- Generate technical drawings from designer sketches
- Advise Producing Artistic Director, directors, and designers on feasibility, cost, and equipment capabilities
- Facilitate timely communication and attend meetings among directors, designers, and Producing Artistic Director as designs are produced while assessing resources, staffing, and scheduling restraints
- Develop schedules, labor, and materials estimates for productions, events, and rentals
- Manage and maintain production schedules and budgets in collaboration with Producing Artistic Director to ensure production goals will be achieved
- Hire and onboard over-hire crew
- Provide oversight and coordination for all aspects of the production process including tech, load-ins and load-outs, which require night and weekend hours
- Attend and participate in all technical rehearsals and attend previews, in order to coordinate daily goals, set priorities, and ensure a safe, effective, and efficient process
- Ensure a safe and supportive working environment in collaboration with production team and Producing Artistic Director
- Administrate the production department Health and Safety program, including scheduling regular trainings and responding to staff questions and concerns
- Experience and/or education in technical theatre or related field
- Experience with managing crews, as well as interpersonal, communication, and supervisory skills
- Prior experience in theatrical carpentry, stage management and/or run crew
- Knowledge of basic carpentry skills, welding, hand & power tools, automation, theatrical rigging and/or theatrical lighting
- Strong communication skills and the ability to think creatively
- Experience using AutoCAD
- Knowledge of IATSE, AEA, and USA agreements are beneficial
The Coterie Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants shall be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), disability, military status, veteran status, marital status, familial status, ancestry, genetics, or any other class or characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Studies have shown that marginalized communities - such as women, LGBTQ+ and people of color - are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification.
The Coterie Theatre is dedicated to fostering an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace. If your past experience does not align perfectly but you are excited about this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. Candidates from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit resumes and inquiries by September 22, 2023, to Jonathan Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999