Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Organization: Since 1901, Jewish Family Services of Greater Kansas (JFS) has supported and strengthened lives throughout Greater Kansas City. We provide essential human services for people facing challenges in everyday life or times of crisis — regardless of faith, age, culture, or lifestyle. JFS proudly serves more than 10,000 people annually through our KesherKC Social Services and Food Pantry, Older Adult Services. Mental Health Services and Education, Chaplaincy, and Jewish life. JFS was founded on the Jewish value of tikkun olam, repairing the world, one person, one family at a time.
Position Summary: The Billing Specialist manages the claims process, including accurate and timely claim creation, follow--up and correspondence with providers, insurance inquiries/correspondence. The incumbent will assist in the clarification and development of process improvements and inquiries, assure payments related to patient services from all sources are recorded and reconciled timely to maximize revenues. Other important duties include credentialing, enrollment processing, and reporting.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY: https://staffingkc.com/static.html?Page=Job+Details&Job=14409
Billing and Claims:
- Prepares and submits clean claims to third-party payers either electronically or by paper.
- Maintains relationship with clearinghouse, including appropriate follow--up with support issues.
- Coordinate the process of patient eligibility through various third-party sources.
- Coordinate collection process, to include any projects from QuickBooks patient accounts and tracking current collections in QuickBooks.
- Manage monthly statement process, to include reviewing statements before mailing and field any patient inquiries the Client Services staff needs to escalate.
- Coordinate and administer policy and procedure for sliding scale.
- Work with the reception staff, ensure appropriate collection of co--pay, spend down, and self-pay fees.
- Handles patient inquiries and answers questions from clerical staff and insurance companies.
- Identifies and resolves patient billing problems.
- Denial and insurance follow--up management.
- Issues adjusted, corrected, and/or rebilled claims to third-party payers.
- Post adjustments, transfer of responsibility, and refunds, as necessary.
- Assure coding is compliant and up to date.
- Reviews accounts and makes recommendations to the Senior Financial Analyst regarding non-collectible accounts.
- Maintains the strictest confidentiality; adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
- Maintain up--to--date credentials for each licensed provider, including verification through primary and secondary sources, records, and relay credentialing information to relevant personal as needed. Keeps accurate records of provider licensure/ certification renewals.
- Coordinate provider enrollments in all commercial, state and federal insurance programs. Correspond with and provide updates to insurances.
- Coordinate all non--financial aspects of the UDS. Assist Finance with financial aspects and assemble data tables on the EHR.
- Provide data and support to Quality Control / Quality Assurance / Program Director as needed.
- Provide accurate compliance reporting data, reporting through eBO queries as needed.
- Provide other reporting as may be necessary for grant funders related to subsidies.
- Initiate and maintain annual eligibility for the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) insurance coverage.
- Create or maintain policy and procedures for all areas of job responsibilities.
- Knowledge of medical billing/collection practices required.
- Strong keyboard skills.
- Works well in an environment with firm deadlines; results-oriented.
- Perform multiple tasks effectively.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong analytical skills required.
- Capable of making timely, independent decisions.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Previous medical billing experience including knowledge of billing-related reporting; 3-5 years experience in health--care billing & collection practices,
- Experience working with medical payers including Medicare, Medicaid, KanCare, subsidy funders, and commercial insurance,
- Working knowledge of medical billing systems
- Experience with Medicaid’s State Eligibility System,
- Working knowledge of CPT and ICD--9 & ICD--10 coding systems specific to outpatient mental health and older adult case management; Coding certification preferred,
- An Associate Degree from an accredited university with credentials in billing /coding preferred,
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
- Requires full range of body motion including manual finger dexterity and eye--hand coordination.
- Able to lift 25 pounds
- Able to sit and work on a computer for many hours per day.
- Capable of focus in a busy environment.
- JFS, in compliance with federal law, has a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy.
- Great organization and great staff
- Primarily daytime hours for a healthy work-life balance
- Free parking
- 3 medical insurance plan options; vision & dental
- 401K with employer match
- Life, AD&D, and disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Discount membership to Jewish Community Center, including fitness center
Guiding Principles: JFS is guided by five principles informing how we engage with each other and the community we serve. The right candidate will be in alignment with these values:
- B’Yachad - Better Together: We are better as an agency and a community when we think, work, and serve together.
- Being Human-Centered: We put the human experience and perspective at the center of our thinking, programming, services, and interactions.
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnering opportunities within JFS and throughout our community.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: We respond and continually adapt to ongoing needs and changes in Kansas City.
- Open Communication: We communicate openly, honestly, and in a solution-oriented manner.
EEO Statement: Jewish Family Services is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. Employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and organizational need. All applicants will be considered for employment with dignity and respect, free of all discrimination, including that which is based on race, color, religion, gender, language, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
Job Type: Full Time