Find a job that you're passionate about. Nonprofit Connect is your career headquarters offering the premier nonprofit job board in the region.
Browse our list of nonprofit jobs.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
The CFO will have the overall managerial responsibility for KSHC accounting, budgetary, and financial operations of programs. The CFO will have primary responsibility for all financial matters and will serve as part of the Executive Management Team. Candidates must have proven experience managing the financial and accounting departments for a similar nonprofit agency.
Responsibilities (include but not limited to the following):
- Serve as consultant to the Executive Director, KSHC Treasurer, Board Finance Committee, Board of Directors, and other key stakeholders on all financial matters, making recommendations and suggesting pro-active strategies to keep KSHC on track.
- Actively manage the day-to-day accounting, financial operations of the agency and management of the bank accounts.
- Ensure that the proper KSHC authorities (Board and staff) have current documentation showing signing permissions on file with the appropriate financial institutions.
- Oversee the agency’s banking activities and actively manage cash flow to ensure it meets agency needs.
- Develop budgets for the agency, individual programs, and new/proposed/expanded services, including the preparation of budget revisions as needed.
- Prepare, analyze, and present monthly financial reports for the agency, its programs, and activities.
- Report on financial results and issues to the Executive Director, Board Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Ensure the best financial practices are in place within KSHC by publicizing standard operating procedures, keeping the Executive Director, Board Treasurer, Board Finance Committee, Board of Directors and staff up to date on KSHC’s financial status and by generally serving as a point of reference for all growth plans and projects within KSHC.
- Oversee and review the preparation of all program financial reporting required for funding sources.
- Manage the payroll, billing, accounts receivable and accounts payable functions and the integration of billing information from the accounting system.
- Manage accounting control systems and coordinate internal/external audits enduring the accurate and timely production of accounting information and financial reports.
- Participate in all internal planning regarding KSHC's proposed program expansion, to ensure alignment of program, outreach, and training plans with financial projections,
- Ensure that all appropriate employment documentation is completed in a timely manner.
- Monitor changes in legal, regulatory, and administrative environments and implement changes in procedures needed to maintain compliance while maximizing operational and financial results.
- Review efficiency/effectiveness of employee benefit programs, seeking approaches to lower costs where possible and consistent with required quality levels.
- Serve as the agency’s primary liaison with an independent auditor to ensure the annual audit is completed smoothly and in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- General accounting and financial reporting procedures in accordance with the State of Kansas, HUD, and the Internal Revenue Service
- Payroll reporting and processing of payroll taxes.
- Experience at working with external auditors, compliance, and regulatory oversight.
- Excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills
- Employee benefits, including the management of health care and retirement plans.
- General office software, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, and accounting software packages (e.g., QuickBooks).
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university; with master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of five years of fiscal management experience with non-profit social service and/or health care agency.
- Certified Public Accountant designation a plus.
- Flexibility in schedule is required.
- Required attendance will be at the primary office located in Lawrence, Kansas.
- This is a salaried/exempt position and as such employee holding this position is expected to work whatever hours are necessary to effectively execute the duties and responsibilities of the job.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - 74,999